low loss suspension? relation with stiffness of the suspension?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Let's see if I've got this right & I will attempt to answer, right or wrong...the question posed. Of the two types suspension we are all familiar with let me pose the notion of a "low loss" type(Which is backwards in my understanding).
The term low loss infers a type of suspension whereby 'little' is lost...little what? When a cone is set in motion "little is lost" from the vibrations of the cone, thru the suspension, attempting to set in motion, or pass said vibration into the frame or basket of any one driver. An example of that we have seen is the ultra-cheap type driver where the cone material itself is simply folded or pleated to create the surround, or the outer suspension of the cone. Being as the vibrations initiate from the voice-coil, vibrations radiate outward along the cone material itself, thru the folded SAME material into the Basket. This would imply there is little lost transfering vibrational energy.....Low-loss.
At the seeming other end of the scale we have another cone with the common surround, the half circle of a type of foam material...If I recall correctly the name of Norosorex....a type of substance that absorbs & dissipates vibrational energy thereby not passing any vibrational energy components.........this would be called the High-loss type.
Note we haven't even got into linear motion of the two very different types & their properties, advantages & dis-advantages.

______________________________________________________Rick........

what is the relation between the

Qms and Cms and low loss suspension?

low loss suspension will be loose or tight?

High Qms means stiff suspension or loose suspension?

High Qms means that the spider and cone surround have more "spring" and less friction than a low Qms driver. Like the other Thiele/Small parameters, it affects the volume and fb tuning of the speaker enclosure to obtain a desired response. In and of itself, it's not a good or bad thing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.