crossover component positions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th December 2003, 10:15 PM   #1
michael is offline michael  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to michael
Default crossover component positions

i am lately trying to work out how a crossover works, im getting there but i have hit a wall, where in the croossover do you put in things like Lpad circuits, SPL bump circuits, impedance rise compensation and impedance bump compensation.
i want to know whether they come before the actual crossover or inbetween the crossover and the Driver.
help would be great
Old 9th December 2003, 12:39 AM   #2
azira is offline azira  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm not sure what your *-bump circuits are but if they are similar to L-pads then this might help.

I assume you're talking about passive crossovers.
Basically they are capacitors either in series or parallel with your speakers. The interaction between the impedance of the speaker and the capacitor causes it to as a filter which either passes highs or lows.

In the simplest case, say a single speaker. With an L-pad and with the impedance compensation circuits, it would be included as part of the speaker impedance.

So... the crossover is the whole thing. But you would want to connect your L-pad to the speaker and then treat the two terminals of that speaker+Lpad device as the speaker for putting your capacitor on to make the crossover.
--
Danny
Old 10th December 2003, 07:59 AM   #3
michael is offline michael  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to michael
does this mean that if i was to have a crossover with an Lpad, and baffle step and 1st order low pass, that i have the source going to the lowpass, then baffle step then Lpad. is this right?
and can anyone point me in the directio of some decent online lit in terms of XO design and theory.

Hide this!Advertise here!