wall mounted speaker stand

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

Renovating our apt (condo), want to take advantage and improve the Hifi setup..
Thinking of mounting the turntable shelf directly into concrete outer wall like indicated in attached file [COUPE VERTICALE]. (The drawing is just an idea..)

For the speakers [COUPE HORIZONTALE].. maybe going overboard.
The idea is to decouple the bass from going directly into the concrete wall, and thereby finding its way back to the turntable shelf.
For vertical support, was thinking of 40mm x 60mm wood boards behind drywall, not touching outer concrete wall, and not touching ceiling (discontinued at ~2m). The wood be held in place by a metal harness.
For the speaker shelf, a metal support would be screwed into the wood..

Between the outer concrete wall is 50mm (or more) of compressed fiberglass.
We may use drywall or possibly acoustic cloth.

Seems with the current design, the bass would still be coupled into the drywall.
Any ideas? Is this going too far?

Thanks in advance, Paul

Attachments

• Turntable support.jpg
    Turntable support.jpg
    678.9 KB · Views: 60
  • speaker support.jpg
    speaker support.jpg
    765.4 KB · Views: 60
I might consider mounting the turntable to the wall a good thing being that it's concrete. It may help isolate it better from vibrations than a floor if the floor in typical wood construction. The speakers are another story depending on the type of listening that you do. A lot of speakers are more comfortable with the tweeter at ear level and away from the back wall. Too close to the wall would muddy the bass somewhat. All depending how far they are from the rooms corners. Also, I've found the soundstage suffers. Again, this all depends on the type of listening you do. If it's just casual, then I'm sure that would be fine as long as they're secured well enough. If you do any critical listening, I don't think you'll like it.
Just my 2 pennies.
Others may feel differently.

Rich

Thanks Rich,

The speakers are JBL 4310s, 30cm deep, and back about 20cm off wall.
The left speaker edge is about 1m away from the corner wall.
The speakers are setup like this today and although it's a compromise, seems to work well (for my ears).
The difference is today the speakers are sitting (too) high on a bookshelf, on which the turntable also sits - not good.
The speakers height would be lowered so that the tweeter would line up with ears while sitting on couch..

While we renovate, I want to do the best job in improving the sound, and not regret missing an opportunity.

I'm thinking of modifying the design slightly, cutting the drywall out, and adding a horizontal piece of wood, between the vertical "studs" if you will. Green glue caulk would be used around the horizontal wood and drywall - it would not be a tight fit. The shelf would cover the joint, but have felt on back face against the wall, and likely have a small air gap. Hope that's clear.
Seems this would create a free standing structure which would not couple the bass to the drywall or concrete.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.