30 HZ from a 10 X 7 box - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th September 2013, 04:35 AM   #91
diyAudio Member

I'll look at the fountek fr58ex, thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 05:13 PM   #92
diyAudio Member

Thanks for telling me about the fr85ex. I am very impressed with the fr58ex, will look deeper. I'll try to find more information. The fr58 with the ferite magnet goes up to 25K!, but probably higher destortion
Old 12th September 2013, 06:57 PM   #93
diyAudio Member

I really like the looks of the 58ex specs and graph. It needs very little box room as well. My concerns though with that driver are (1) the fact that there is no off axis response curves (as with all Fountek drivers) and (2) is it robust enough to go down to 100-200 Hz with decent distortion if the cross point is that low. I think the key here is for me buy a couple and test them. $40 isn't much of a risk.
Old 6th February 2014, 12:54 AM   #94
satx is offline satx  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't know if you're still working on this and I didn't read the last few pages, but I did read the first 4-5.

I must say it sounds like you're struggling and you probably will not be pleased with the results because you're trying to fight the laws of good speaker design.

Why aren't you just considering a normal TM with good bass response? The Tang Band driver that you like clearly states that it's a subwoofer and trying to shoehorn that into a typical two-way probably either isn't going to work or is going to be very difficult. Also, with your budget of $50ish you may have trouble finding a tweeter that will cross that low. BTW, the Vifa DX25 is only $19 right now and I think it can get down to 1500Hz, not LR2 though as you're looking for.

I saw people mentioning a fast and that sounds like a better idea. You could look at the Aura the Linkwitz uses in the Pluto. There is also a 1" version of that that probably would need and even smaller enclosure.

If it were me though I would look at Dumptruck's recommendation from post #3-the Speedsters. Small, great bass and can hit 100db. If they're too expensive you could look at a couple of other of Paul C's designs like the Classix II or the Hitmakers. I think any of those is going to get you about as much bass as can be had from boxes of those sizes. Trying to get to 30Hz in under 10L just isn't going to happen, at least not at any volume, but that goal really isn't necessary. Strong 50Hz output should be fine for your grandkids, plus a subwoofer woofer would be a nice second project down the road and maybe you could build it together.

Evan
Old 6th February 2014, 02:26 AM   #95
diyAudio Member

Thanks.
You guys have given me a lot to think about and work on. This project started with the four limits; freq range, cost, sound quality, size. Other speakers projects have easily achieved two or three of the goals by compromising the other one or two. By lots of research and the help I receive from you-all I am getting closer to getting all four.

As a Physicist I do not want to ignore the rules of the physics of sound, and materials science. I want to use them to stretch what the right small speaker can be made to do in the correctly designed enclosure.
Old 6th February 2014, 02:44 AM   #96
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwbutler View Post
Thanks.
You guys have given me a lot to think about and work on. This project started with the four limits; freq range, cost, sound quality, size. Other speakers projects have easily achieved two or three of the goals by compromising the other one or two. By lots of research and the help I receive from you-all I am getting closer to getting all four.

As a Physicist I do not want to ignore the rules of the physics of sound, and materials science. I want to use them to stretch what the right small speaker can be made to do in the correctly designed enclosure.
No problem. I'm not trying to rain on your parade. Most people will recommend that you build a preexisting design and I think it's a good idea, but if you want to design a speaker then I say go for it.

As for a woofer that can play low in a small box, has a good midrange quality and an easy to work with response, take a look at the Tang Band W4-1720. It models with an f3 in the mid to low 40's in only about 6L and remember that with room gain you should easily be getting into the 30's. It's sometimes on sale for around $35. Cross to that DX25 I mentioned or a small neo around 3K and you should have a very nice little speaker.

Also, for a cheaper option, maybe the Dayton DC160-08. I've used the 4ohm version in small sub woofers with surprising results. The 8ohm is easy to work with and has a nice sound to it.

Good luck
Old 6th February 2014, 03:42 AM   #97
diyAudio Member

I changed computers so do not have all my evaluation software up at the moment. However here is a quick check of a very few drivers that I have evaluated. Based on vol and F3 there are some better but it was a good idea and deserves a full evaluation. The shape of the Freq Res curve will tell a lot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speaker quick test.jpg (117.2 KB, 105 views)

Last edited by fwbutler; 6th February 2014 at 03:52 AM.
Old 6th February 2014, 04:56 AM   #98
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I changed computers so do not have all my evaluation software up at the moment. However here is a quick check of a very few drivers that I have evaluated. Based on vol and F3 there are some better but it was a good idea and deserves a full evaluation. The shape of the Freq Res curve will tell a lot.
I'm not completely sure how to interpret this; what program is this? What does the volume column stand for? I'm not familiar with all of these, but looking at the two that I recommended, you should be able to get nice curves with an f3 that's quite a bit lower than what is shown here.

If you have a program like unibox or winisd it's helpful to be able to see the kind of curve you can expect, in conjunction with max SPL as it relates to cone excursion.

I noticed the ND91, that's a good one for extension, I believe that the Aura version has a smoother response though. Just remember that a driver that small will not move a lot of air, which is required for good low bass. Another one to look at in that series they may work better for you is the ND105. BTW, all of the ND series are on sale right now.
Old 6th February 2014, 01:55 PM   #99
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

You might want to look at a passive radiator to get bass that low with such a compact box. There will be large THD though to push a small driver that low.
Old 8th February 2014, 03:22 AM   #100
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Quote:
Hi fwbuttler, All,

FYI:
An example of how to sort the suitability of small Drivers.
Only the Volume requirement are calculated for Drivers ( Here only exemplified by using the Dayton-Audio-ND91-8 Driver) in Boxes with Qts equal or lower than 0.5 that do not return an equivalent Qt of less than 0.5 or more than 0.707(Max 1 dB Peaking).

b

PS: Check your Speaker quick test spreadsheet for errors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Opt-BR.JPG (711.6 KB, 70 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!