interior box volume for Accuton C220-6-222 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th June 2013, 05:58 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default interior box volume for Accuton C220-6-222

I'm building a 3-way RAAL/ACCUTON speaker with the RAAL 140-15D tweeter, Accuton C173-6-090 midrange, and Accuton C220-6-222 woofer. Using a deqx hdp-4 for crossover at 80Hz, 350Hz and 2100Hz. A separate subwoofer will handle the bottom end. I've decided to start simple with a sealed rectangular enclosure. 10" wide in the front, 14" in depth, 48" high. I'm first going to try midrange over tweeter over woofer. Woofer near the floor. I've already prototyped the midrange and tweeter in a prebuilt box and prefer midrange over tweeter in my room.

I'm looking for some help with the enclosure volume for the woofer. Accuton recommends Vb: 11.5L, -12dB @ 40Hz, F-3dB: 74Hz, Q: 0.71 (typical). This seems very small. Can someone confirm? To create a volume that small I would have to add a divider above and behind the woofer.

I understand I can use some simulation software and I'm experimenting with some. Just looking for some guidance with my first project. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by falconsprint; 28th June 2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 28th June 2013, 08:07 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

That's a very high EBP driver that would typically be in a larger vented box, but with an active high pass, the small Q=0.7 box probably makes sense. You may need contour it a bit for 80Hz (note the high -3dB on the accuton page), but I imagine the deqx can take care of that.
Old 28th June 2013, 09:06 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks, any problems with using a driver intended for a vented enclosure in a sealed enclosure? Is bass extension the only issue? I've been listening to the C173-6-090 (also high EBP) for the last 4 months in a small sealed enclosure 350-2100Hz and I love it.

Don't want to use a vented enclosure because it is more difficult to get good measurements with the deqx software.
Old 28th June 2013, 09:32 PM   #4
Face is offline Face  United States
diyAudio Member

I would lean towards the S220 instead, especially in a sealed enclosure.

As for the RAAL 140-15D, I would recommend a crossover closer to 3K and a smaller mid, such as the new CELL unit.

Hide this!Advertise here!