what to do with Neo8s + 12" midbass + 18" subwoofer: large box or OB?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks Greg.

Single per side. Closed, as part of soffit/recessed/"in-wall" mounted monitors, stuffed with bonded logic as per your recommendation. Active 3-way + sub, crossovers at ~ 2000, 300 and 60-80 Hz. Woofer undecided, open to suggestions. Thinking sealed and high sensitivity (pro 12-15") though.

Last edited:
Hi NiToNi,

Want to do something very similar... or Compression driver around 1000-1200 hz... because of the famous polar response (less expensive with Seos 12" and a little radian CD ?)!

Ribbon or AMT seems sweeter than CD and more details and equal dynamic with some pro drivers like tph-150 in home environment. Raal seems better but very coster (140-15), not sure the littles raal are better than the Beyma tph-150

Maybe 4 ways. Same theoric XO than you...

i'm waiting for the feedback of Zmyrna too with the Neo8s, because many threads shows than you can avoid the periodic ringing in the high FRC with a good choice of Xo in the low end and gentle active EQ. Zmyrna writes too than the blend with a cone midbass is not an easy task...(hé how is the Altec clone ?)

I really hesitate too between Neo 10 and 8-s, different philosophy but same technologie. With the Neo 8s my temptation will be to use it alone > 1000 hz & maybe the Neo 3 RDP which seems to have its greater qualities above 6000-8000 hz (read in some threads).

Did someone tried Neo10+NEO8s in a same bafle ? Neo10 + CD and cheap horn crossed around 1000 hz ?

Hi Greg,

In a home environment (around 380 square feets / 35 m²) what design would you choose ? Your closed 8s or your open Neo10 but alone ?

What Xo do you use with 8s ?

Sorry Zmyrna...some OT here, maybe it can help for comprehension...

Last edited:
You are welcome to keep the discussion going Eldam.
Now that I have the GPA 416 and Neo8S, I am thinking of getting the Neo10 as well and using all of them together. I think it is better to use these planar drivers in very narrow fr bands. I will initially use them 4 way active. Then I might try a 1st order passive between Neo10 and Neo8. Tweeter will be Neo3 or Fountek 3.5H.

I am just in the beginning (choice of drivers) and theory but we are converging.

Well, we work with active XO but I don't now if we can really use first order with narrow band of 2 or 2,5 octaves with Neo 10 ?, cause first order with 2 drivers is a 2 octaves overlape and in a bandpass driver you have a LP & a HP crossover... my thought after reading Gregs' posts is maybe a 2 order slope or forth order slope for LP with the Neo10 at 300 and someting 1900-2000 (with narrow baffle but U-Frame or resistiv à la Variovant cabinet : the first reduce the effcienty but enlarge the FRC, the second could give maybe a better low end response below 1000 hz?). Greg use 3000 LP if I remenber and the size bafle help for the low response curve (with XO too)

Juhazi from Aino Gradiant thread wrote something usefull about size of Neo 8 & 10 in relation size of the Bafle & dipole null.
My biger problem for the moment is the choice of design : i don't know if i have to go with dipole with speakers standing at 1 meters from sides and front walls ???

CD + seos 12 and Neo 10 300 hz to 1000 hz with second or bigger slope ? Anyone tried this ?

Maybe...i think too the use of sonograms are relativly.new for most of diyers.
Before the batles were: low efficienty vs high one....maybe the main reason why you can t see these kind .of blends?
I saw people here using amt above 5k with a horn below... now with the dlp active xo and phase correction, you have a little more freedom to match diferent efficienty if the polar patern works in your room. Ihad the idea too for using a paper cone 5'' with ribbon upon and Neo 10 bottom....
Maybe it s stupid....

thanks, Greg...

Very interesting imput, it seems a good closed can be better sometimes than OB with littles magneplanars !

May you please give us your bandpas XO for it at this moment (know that you wrote it's always in test at the studio !)

I have to add that I prefer to hear the recording and not embellish it with more reflections from the room. My open baffles are using absorption for the rear wave of the mids. I cannot explain the difference though between my baffles and the studio monitors. They were tested side by side in the same huge space, well away from all walls, so room reflections were not really a factor. The imaging depth and width were even better with the monitor. Crossed at 350 and 3000 for the neo8s.

And tweeters are not the same. The little 70-20 is OEM... not the 140...both stay very expensive.

Maybe the box is better for the low end of the Neos too...

my understanding is than your big OB can only be used in big rooms.

Did you see the design of Juhazi with open NEO 10 & Neo 3 ?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.