Wharfedale 10.7 or Polkaudio TSi500

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Junie,
If I were you I'd pick the Wharfedale. I've heard their speakers over decades and they sound very good. I don't know how this Polk sounds but the ones I have heard had over blown bass and not a great mid range.
Check out Wharfedale's history and you might want to focus on their products !
( I'm not associated with Wharfedale in any way !;) )
But of course, if possible ,you should try to get a demo of both speakers using the same music in the same room with the same amp/source.
All the best.
Ashok.

Last edited:
.......... it might flex during high power input maybe?.........

Hi Junie,
You can be sure this will not happen. These are British designs. They would be tested at full power for long periods and if they found a flaw they would not be using these frames. Remember that all their drivers are designed and built by themselves.
check out :
Wharfedale Diamond 10.7 Loudspeakers An incredible value at only $1299 per pair and earn my highest recommendation! Review By Tom Lyle

Maybe you should just email Wharfedale and ask them about your concerns. I'd be surprised if they don't reply !

Ashok bhai, I got a used DIA 10.7 from Dubizzle for a decent price but disappointed how it sound compared to my previous DIA 9.5.

The new model has a thin bass, harsh mid not good for music listening but in Movie the DIA 10.7 has good soundspace.

Wharfedale didn't reply to the mail I sent to them.

Hi Junie,
I'm surprised that Wharfedale didn't reply. Generally most British companies were good at that. Maybe they are now slipping up ?
Thin bass and harsh mid ?
Something must be wrong. Remember that if the Wharfedale has a harsh mid it wouldn't even have made it to a store !
Might be interesting to have a look at the crossover board. Also are the bass drivers original or replaced or repaired ? Unfortunately you will have to dismantle the speaker to check that out. It's VERY unlikely that Wharfedale would market a speaker in 2013 that has harsh mids ! It will kill the product instantly !
Something must be wrong. Let me know what you find from a superficial inspection.
Cheers.

No, nobody can sue you if you post pictures here. You are only trying to solve a problem. Nothing wrong if you discover a manufacturing defect. But of course this will not be so in this case. Something is amiss. You need to find out what it is. Dome mids generally can never be bad especially as they are relatively more expensive than cone drivers ! You find them only in expensive speakers.

The reviewer in that link I sent said :"...The 10.7 have a number of fine attributes, but their reproduction of the vocals were by far their strongest suit. Not only were both male and female vocals reproduced with striking realism, but they were separated from other sounds within the huge soundstage that, like I mentioned above, filled the space between the two speakers...."

You can be sure that if the mids were harsh he would have said that !

Twin 6.5 inch drivers being 'light' in the bass makes it sound like something is wrong.

Anyway take close up pictures of the drivers before opening anything and post them here. Look for signs of a repair job. Worn out screw heads etc.

I listen closely as I played Ella fitzgerald CD last night and the voice that I admire most in the Dia 9.5 is over saturated in Dia 10.7 I got ear fatigue in 10.7. Should I use a powerful amp? the 10.7 is 200w max so it should be driven by a big amp?
I will post some photos of disassembled 10.7 later.

Frankly I don't understand what you mean by "...Ella Fitzgerald ........... and the voice that I admire most in the Dia 9.5 is over saturated....on the 10.7..." .

There is no such thing as matching amp to the speaker power rating. Here 200 watts would mean that you can play musical signals that reach a peak of 200 watts without damaging the drivers. Average levels would be much lower.
You can play a 50 watt amp with a 200 watt speaker or a 200 watt amp with a 50 watt speaker . You just need to be careful about the volume levels you are playing it at.
A 50 watt amp driven too hard and clipping will not affect the bass and mid drivers but could certainly fry the tweeter because clipped signals contain a severe amount of HF ( distortion) ! And a 200 watt amp on a 50 watt speaker could blow the bass and mid range drivers if played too loud ! The speaker sensitivity is also a key factor. Anyway it's another subject one can write a lot about.
Basically you don't need a XXX watt amp for a speaker rated XXX watts !

Maybe you should make an MP3 mic recording of the mid range sound on both speakers and post it ( same section of music...about a minute long). Then we could hear it and see what the difference is. While we couldn't judge the correct sound we should be able to hear the difference that you are talking about.

I assume you did try the music with different amplifiers also ?
Cheers.

There is a possibility that the coil of the dome midrange is damaged with some lose turns due to ( earlier) overloading. You can find out by using a swept sinewave from say 200 to 5Khz. If a few turns of the coil is loose ,at some point the clean sine wave will sound fuzzy.
You can make the swept sine wave by using Audacity or old copy of Cool Edit 96 or some such software. You might even get a ready made signal on some web site. Google for audio range sine wave test signals.
I am assuming you don't have a sweep generator ! Do you ?

I am going to be off the Net from the 9th to the 12th this month. I "might" be able to check some mail on my Phone but it's fiddly and I don't like to work on it unless it's very important....like cancelling or booking train tickets !
But I will make a try as I'm going to be off line on and off for many weeks the next two months or more.
I certainly can't do any hands on work ! 12th night to the 15 night I'm in town and can do something hands on ...like playing back an MP3 that you might have posted !
Cheers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.