Wharfedale 10.7 or Polkaudio TSi500 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th July 2013, 09:49 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

No, nobody can sue you if you post pictures here. You are only trying to solve a problem. Nothing wrong if you discover a manufacturing defect. But of course this will not be so in this case. Something is amiss. You need to find out what it is. Dome mids generally can never be bad especially as they are relatively more expensive than cone drivers ! You find them only in expensive speakers.

The reviewer in that link I sent said :"...The 10.7 have a number of fine attributes, but their reproduction of the vocals were by far their strongest suit. Not only were both male and female vocals reproduced with striking realism, but they were separated from other sounds within the huge soundstage that, like I mentioned above, filled the space between the two speakers...."

You can be sure that if the mids were harsh he would have said that !

Twin 6.5 inch drivers being 'light' in the bass makes it sound like something is wrong.

Anyway take close up pictures of the drivers before opening anything and post them here. Look for signs of a repair job. Worn out screw heads etc.
Old 7th July 2013, 10:11 AM   #12
Junie is offline Junie  Philippines
diyAudio Member

I listen closely as I played Ella fitzgerald CD last night and the voice that I admire most in the Dia 9.5 is over saturated in Dia 10.7 I got ear fatigue in 10.7. Should I use a powerful amp? the 10.7 is 200w max so it should be driven by a big amp?
I will post some photos of disassembled 10.7 later.
Old 7th July 2013, 11:49 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Frankly I don't understand what you mean by "...Ella Fitzgerald ........... and the voice that I admire most in the Dia 9.5 is over saturated....on the 10.7..." .

There is no such thing as matching amp to the speaker power rating. Here 200 watts would mean that you can play musical signals that reach a peak of 200 watts without damaging the drivers. Average levels would be much lower.
You can play a 50 watt amp with a 200 watt speaker or a 200 watt amp with a 50 watt speaker . You just need to be careful about the volume levels you are playing it at.
A 50 watt amp driven too hard and clipping will not affect the bass and mid drivers but could certainly fry the tweeter because clipped signals contain a severe amount of HF ( distortion) ! And a 200 watt amp on a 50 watt speaker could blow the bass and mid range drivers if played too loud ! The speaker sensitivity is also a key factor. Anyway it's another subject one can write a lot about.
Basically you don't need a XXX watt amp for a speaker rated XXX watts !

Maybe you should make an MP3 mic recording of the mid range sound on both speakers and post it ( same section of music...about a minute long). Then we could hear it and see what the difference is. While we couldn't judge the correct sound we should be able to hear the difference that you are talking about.

I assume you did try the music with different amplifiers also ?
Cheers.
Old 7th July 2013, 12:06 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

There is a possibility that the coil of the dome midrange is damaged with some lose turns due to ( earlier) overloading. You can find out by using a swept sinewave from say 200 to 5Khz. If a few turns of the coil is loose ,at some point the clean sine wave will sound fuzzy.
You can make the swept sine wave by using Audacity or old copy of Cool Edit 96 or some such software. You might even get a ready made signal on some web site. Google for audio range sine wave test signals.
I am assuming you don't have a sweep generator ! Do you ?
Old 7th July 2013, 04:20 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I am going to be off the Net from the 9th to the 12th this month. I "might" be able to check some mail on my Phone but it's fiddly and I don't like to work on it unless it's very important....like cancelling or booking train tickets !
But I will make a try as I'm going to be off line on and off for many weeks the next two months or more.
I certainly can't do any hands on work ! 12th night to the 15 night I'm in town and can do something hands on ...like playing back an MP3 that you might have posted !
Cheers.

Hide this!Advertise here!