My snail speaker Pheonix - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th June 2013, 08:58 PM   #1
pedro11 is offline pedro11  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default My snail speaker Pheonix

This winter I had an illness which kept me indoors for a long time . I have reached 70 years of age . I have been experimenting with plywood horns since the the 90's I have been wanting to make it for years but how I didn't know I made over 100 plywood rings cut plywood strips & rolled them the tension was enormous . It fell apart that is why I call it Pheonix . Start all over again .Bought a load of clamps I used to make large model aircraft but this was a new ball game every thing tapered away from you . I have now spent about 700 hours + making it . My great friend of over 45 years said you are the only man mad enough and determined enough in the world . ( I like that)to do it. I have now run it up & exceeded my expectations by some margin I have still got the grin on my face . I have bored through 2 out of 3 15" drivers to take the tweeter The combinations are enormous . I have now had Pheonix fibre glassed to make a mould next week so all systems go . It has taken its toll on me medically again . I will soldier on will try to get my friend to put up pics for me I hope you like it Thanks for looking Peter

Last edited by pedro11; 19th June 2013 at 07:14 AM. Reason: More detail
Old 26th June 2013, 07:37 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hello everyone . Just an update I seem to making catch up a regular occasion . As said it is now 6 months since I started Pheonix . It is now all coming together . I have at last found someone to do a cad drawing for me so it can be made out of solid cnc router .When he saw it he said my god how did you make that & how long . I said true British grit & determination . I am of an age where I get lost with all the computer jargon . I am just an old fashioned engineer woodworker . I have now tried 5 x15" drivers managed to bore 3 out the 5 to take tweeters . now the can of worms i have my favorite at the moment & it is not the dearest but it is new the others are used . I am looking for a driver that goes from 20hz -about 4k plus I dont mind used what are your suggestions
Old 13th July 2013, 12:31 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 13th July 2013, 12:37 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default first fibre glass coat

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by pedro11; 13th July 2013 at 12:48 AM.
Old 13th July 2013, 12:52 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default fibre glass 2

Old 13th July 2013, 12:56 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Finishing shape

Old 13th July 2013, 12:59 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Just loaded some photos of what I have been doing for over 6 months . Now on test . The moulds are being made now . So I can have a pair made up cant wait !!!

Thanks Peter
Old 13th July 2013, 01:24 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedro11 View Post
I am looking for a driver that goes from 20hz -about 4k plus I dont mind used what are your suggestions
You looking for a driver... I guess a 15", is it sealed? What's the internal volume net (approximate)? Good job. Regards.
This is a nice driver, good for a quarter wave but is not what you're looking for. This coax driver has moderate LF extension (>40Hz) in a standard BR enclosure, but is a good starting point to look at all your different parameters.
B&C Speakers
The Fane Axiom AXA 15B-300 does the top of the range but doesn't go low (>50Hz).
Fane International Ltd Loud Speakers
The Eminence Legend CB158 300W can go low to LF (>30Hz), also good for BR and quarter wave, requires >200L enclosure but is a good starting point.
Eminence Legend CB158 300W 15" Bass Guitar Speaker 103.63
Old 13th July 2013, 02:09 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Acoustic Elegance vs. Great Plains Audio 354

This driver SB Acoustics 15" SB42FHC75-6 does the LF (20Hz), check the HF range of interest to you.
SB Acoustics :: 15" SB42FHC75-6
Visaton TIW400, also goes to infra territory (20Hz).
TIW 400 8 OHM
Davis Acoustics 38RPA has good LF (>25-30'sHz).
Davis Acoustics 38RPA (8Ohm)
Maybe one of the best, if you can resource overseas, not trying to be rude and deserving some testing is after all the Acoustic Elegance (AE) or for this short resume the Great Plains Audio 354(GPA).
http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/downloads/3154.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Great Plains Audio 354(GPA).jpg (36.6 KB, 19 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!