Newb question about DIY speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all. I'm a newb looking to get a little into a hi fi component build. My question is I'm looking at a DIY kit from Madisound for speakers or monitors or whatever the heck I'm supposed to call 'em. The kit I'm interested in is called B741 Scan Speak kit. Is anyone out there familiar with this kit and it's designated (suggested) speaker box or enclosure? I'd like to do this once and be done as to not waste money (penny wise, dollar foolish) so I'm hoping these don't suck. It looks to be somewhat expensive, yet cheap compared to high end speakers into the five or six digit arena (obviously). I'm not an audiophile but love good clean sound. I used to own Soundstream d-200's back in the day when I had car stereo's and they seemed pretty clean sounding to me. My budget was 3 to 4 G's for a whole system but my bro is giving me an upgraded Adcom Gfa-555 and a Akustyk passive preamp. This gift gives me the opportunity to spend more on the speakers and remain in budget (I know....... save the money!). I'd like to match it to some pretty good speakers (left and right). I will have to purchase a cd player as well. My room is 15.5' x 27' x 7.5'. It is also set up the wrong way (or I think it is), listening from the narrow direction and not longways. I found about a page worth of info on a search but wanted to ask directly. The Seas Excel kits also drew my gaze but I'm still unsure. Any input on this diy speaker choice compared to others in respect of my budget?? Any help appreciated.
Regards, John C.

The kit page clearly shows the box you need to build

B741-Front.jpg

B741-Side.jpg

There's a fairly recent thread at AVS from a builder.

Scanspeak B741 build

Uses some of the best drivers available period, but is also insanely expensive compared to what most DIYers deal with.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.