Listening room setup - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th June 2013, 08:00 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Listening room setup

Hey everyone. I am relatively new in true stereo sound. I would like some setup oppinions for a listening room, like proper speaker placement, acoustic treatement etc. I have a pair of Magnat Vector 77 Silver Millenium edition speakers running on a Yamaha RX-V395 reciever hooked up to a PC and with an Audigy 2 soundcard. I know most of you will say "PC is not very HI-FI" but this is what i have at the moment. I have only one room in my apartment wich is 6 by 4 meters so i am very space limited as it is my living room and my bedroom all together. I have managed to get a very accurate center image even though my speakers are placed at the left half of the room the other half being the bedroom but all the other sounds like instruments are muddy and difficult to pinpoint. The are placed almost at the wall wich i know it`s not brilliant. So does anyone have any experience setting up a small room? I have to mention that the room is a little above 4 meters high.
Old 18th June 2013, 08:03 PM   #2
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
here are some links to basic and advanced info about room acoustics and system setup. You really must do the learning yourself and try different setups. The speaker's bass output might be lean - near to wall helps or heavy. And hey - your room is not small! But if the floor and walls are concrete/bric/tile - you are in trouble!

Room Acoustics
Cardas Room Setup Guide
How to Set Up and Treat a Listening Room - YouTube
Hifi Listening Rooms | Acoustic Sciences Corporation
Acoustic Treatment and Design for Recording Studios and Listening Rooms
JBL :: Technical Library
http://www.spsc.tugraz.at/sites/defa...ening_Room.pdf
Room For Improvement
http://www.hedbackdesignedacoustics...._List._Rms.pdf THIS IS A GEM!
AES Associate Member / My DIY speaker history: -74 Philips 3-way, -82 Hifi 85B, -07 Zaph L18, XLS10+PR/Hypex, -08 CSS125FR, -08 Hifitalo AW-7, -08 TangBand FR, -09 MarkK ER18DXT, -13 PPSL470, -13 AINOgradient

Last edited by Juhazi; 18th June 2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old 19th June 2013, 06:08 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply. The walls of my apartment are brick walls with sheets of gypsum board placed over them sitting on metal frames. Yes maybe my rooms is not that small but like a said my setup is in the right half of the room using about 3.5x3 meters of space

Hide this!Advertise here!