2x12" horn speaker design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't think we were being deceiving, although there would probably be some slight lower mid asymmetry in the horizontal polars of the 4435. Polar curves at that time were measured on a flush turntable of Don Keele's design. The were done in an outdoor ground plane pad with the system standing on its head and the horn on the centerline. It would have been difficult to get a 4435 to balance that way.

Any manufacturer will emphasise the best points of his products and play down the comparatively weaker areas and I assumed that is why the 4430 directivity was included but not the 4435.
No disrespect to the JBL speaker team. I have a JBL 2245 + 2226 + 2447 + 2405 system with current project a 2453 + ? centre and 2433 + ? surrounds.
So my opinion should be obvious;)
If you contributed to any of these then it is a pleasure to be able to thank you personally.

Best wishes
David

I started this thread a few years ago.

I finally finished installing JBL DMS-1 monitor, WTW Horn system like Kinoshita Monitor or K2, but 2x14" woofers are much closer each other. I tested a lot of different crossover methods, and I found Keele Linear Phase method (Linkwitz Lab) at 600Hz sounds the best, compared to any other non linear phase filter method we tested. We all can clearly hear the annoying phase shift with analog style non linear crossover in blind tests performed here. It was almost too easy to detect. Slight pre ringing is visible in the step response, of course, but I honestly can't hear it. One person says he does, but he also prefers LP. Measured response is unusually clean both vertical and horizontal.

I have Barefoot MM27 MTM monitor here, and DMS-1 is a way better speaker to "listen to" or "enjoy" the music, and it is still more accurate than Barefoot in some aspects.

Last edited:

Attachments

• JBL DMS-1.jpg
    JBL DMS-1.jpg
    391.1 KB · Views: 433
Last edited:
Measurement result was uploaded...

Nice to read that you are pleased with the outcome, and to see your results.
My previously expressed concerns about the WHW layout may be a bit alleviated by current improvements in FIR filters.
I don't think I had read Don Keele's Linear Phase paper when I made my comments.
I still have a few doubts about off axis behavior, vertical polars.
Was your test done with a UMIK-1 or ?

Best wishes
David

Nice to read that you are pleased with the outcome, and to see your results.
My previously expressed concerns about the WHW layout may be a bit alleviated by current improvements in FIR filters.
I don't think I had read Don Keele's Linear Phase paper when I made my comments.
I still have a few doubts about off axis behavior, vertical polars.
Was your test done with a UMIK-1 or ?

Best wishes
David

Dayton EMM-6.

I understand your doubt about the vertical response of WTW. Vertical response is mostly limited by tweeter (horn) design itself, so it can't be improved by FIR linear phase. Also with large units like this, the crossover frq has to be low, so top frq has to be compromised. It's not for someone who want to see very flat response over 10K. In the future, I would love to try alternative arrangement with center mid+tweeter W(MT)W instead of one center horn, like this new MM26 monitor from Barefoot. Does it look reasonable for you?

Barefoot Sound MicroMain26

FIR filter had somewhat steep learning curve, because FIR specific parameter such as window function, impulse length, FIR type, all affect the the transient / sound stage a lot. DMG is probably the only digital filter that can be edited those parameters individually, so it was a great learning tool for me. Really bad thing about FIR is it requires extreme processing power, 2.5GHz i7 quad even can't handle the longest impulse whatever the latency is...

Last edited:
And probably the ceiling would have to be either high enough or heavily absorbed for WTW configuration to avoid badly phased reflection. My studio ceiling is fully covered with 8 inch (20cm) of Owens Corning 701, so theoretically no reflection around crossover frq.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.