5.5 inch midrange driver or 2 inch dome midrange? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th June 2013, 12:04 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 5.5 inch midrange driver or 2 inch dome midrange?

I would like to build a 3 way system but as observed almost all the cone drivers has breakup after 2khz no matter its nomex or reed or kevlar or even magnesium. I have seen dome midrange from 800hz to 4.2khz and there is no breakup in this region. So thought to use a dome midrange. Its even said that ATC dome midrange is supposed to be the best midrange in the world might be subjective but still its considered to be best...

so what do you suggest to use a cone midrange or dome midrange? my crossover freq for the 3 way driver is for 6.5 inch midbass driver 2 inch mid dome and 1 inch tweeter
its crossover freq is about to be at 800hz and 4200hz..

any suggestions on the generic configuration?
Old 16th June 2013, 02:46 PM   #2
Face is offline Face  United States
diyAudio Member

Scanspeak Discovery 10F.
Old 16th June 2013, 03:27 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

dont you think Scanspeak 10F has very little power of 15W RMS ? and long term max is 30w so its pretty sensitive for higher powers...

if its 15w then I would rather choose Fostex FE126en with cloth surround which will give much higher quality. It might be a good full range but the suspension will make hell lot of difference when it comes to resolution the more sensitive the suspension is the more easy for the subtle sounds hence gives much higher resolution. I think that is one reason why dome mid ranges deliver more resolution as the dome has that silk suspension.

but even the scanspeak discovery looks very interesting but the drawback looks like in the rubber suspension even though its low damping SBR rubber...
Old 16th June 2013, 03:41 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The 10F, crossed LR2 @ 400hz in a small sealed enclosure, can take up to 250 watts before reaching x-max. The 10F also appears to have much smoother response than the FE126.
Old 16th June 2013, 04:18 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

yeah when it comes to the smoother response its agreed that it has smoother response... true...
250w? wohaaa its too much power that it can take!!!!!! strange but interesting...
Old 16th June 2013, 04:24 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 16th June 2013, 04:35 PM   #7
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

Perhaps double 3" or 4"s? Twice the cone area - less distortion, more output, better vertical dispersion, still fast transients. I am using 2x3" Vifa NE95 (aluminium cone) serial coupled in MTM config and I can't complain. Full scale Statements do that 2x4" MTM too, and many others. The glassfiber cone SS 10F is perhaps the best measuring unit and is used by e.g. J Kreskowsky but many others than Jim Holz favour TangBand W4 which has aluminium cone and a phase plug. SS 10F is the most expensive one.
AES Associate Member / My DIY speaker history: -74 Philips 3-way, -82 Hifi 85B, -07 Zaph L18, XLS10+PR/Hypex, -08 CSS125FR, -08 Hifitalo AW-7, -08 TangBand FR, -09 MarkK ER18DXT, -13 PPSL470, -13 AINOgradient

Last edited by Juhazi; 16th June 2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 16th June 2013, 04:42 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Face.. what is the software that you have used to measure...
Old 16th June 2013, 04:54 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Loudspeaker Design Software
Old 16th June 2013, 05:16 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

does dome midrange performs good? I just have a doubt about them...

Hide this!Advertise here!