Doppenberg Dipole horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• db dipole horn.jpg
    db dipole horn.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 324
looks good & combines the least efficient with the most efficient;
As Bert, the builder of the horn said August 14, 2012, 13:36:
"Yes, its an open baffle so frequencies below 80Hz (prototype) will be cancelled more and more while going deeper in frequencies."

Rather large, reminds me of a stacked pair of the Steve Hall designed "Cruncher" horns of the mid/late 1970's, though those used a compression chamber.

Used to bring four dual 15" Crunchers, four mid, and four high horns into 150 seat nightclubs.

Of course, when the guitar player used 8x 12", bass 8x10" and 2x15" and the keyboards were a Hammond B3 & Leslie, Fender Rhodes, Hohner Clavinet, & a Mini Moog, the PA didn't seem so large...

Art

theoretical speakers similar to this were mentioned in another thread some time ago. I can't remember which though. Jmmlc may have been involved in the discussion. It does do interesting things to the rear path length though when you have that horn length rather than a flat baffle and this, if I remember correctly, is even more advantageous if the speakers are mounted in a 'U"frame. I remember also looking at the possibility of using an H frame with the front of the H frame being the front chamber of a horn.
jamikl

Bert recently demo'ed a quite similar design that featured a BMS coaxial driver in an additional horn instead of the wide-range driver at a Dutch hifi show. At that time it was still a prototype. Although tonally things weren't as neutral (yet?) as I like my speakers to be, it was a quite convincing demo: it simply sounded as big as it looked - larger than life. Realistic? No, but pretty darn impressive!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.