diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Multi-Way (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/)
-   -   EPOS 14 Super Size (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/237579-epos-14-super-size.html)

gassit 13th June 2013 06:47 AM

EPOS 14 Super Size

Hi,

I have a pair of Epos 14s in excellent condition and with a lovely mid-range and sweet highs.

Bass is good but could do better.

Just wondering: if I was to remove the drive units and crossover, and take note of how the stuffing is arranged, and then place them in another box,would the bass show an improvement (in terms of depth) in a bigger, 75 litre box?

I'd keep the same front baffle width but extend its height to about 42 inches and extend the sides.

A crazy idea or worth doing?

Thanks for listening.

gassit 14th June 2013 06:46 AM

Or not...

system7 14th June 2013 06:50 AM

Trouble with getting more bass, is the woofer will get bigger excursion, which will increase distortion. :)

It's an underhung bass coil, and all rather optimally designed.

Robin Marshall: A Modicum of Genius | Stereophile.com

I'd leave well alone myself.

AllenB 14th June 2013 07:12 AM

The baffle chamfering may still be worth it.

gassit 14th June 2013 07:24 AM

Hmmm.

Will re-think the idea but I still welcome any other input.

gassit 14th June 2013 08:50 PM

Perhaps a sub-woofer would extend the lower bass. But would this ruin the sound of the Epos?

dumptruck 14th June 2013 11:59 PM

Not if you do it right. Use at least two, and allow yourself as many adjustable variables as possible (continuously variable phase/delay, crossover slope/Q/freq, parametric EQ, etc.)

AllenB 15th June 2013 12:07 AM

One advantage of subs is that you can put them where they work best, it's one of the more important things with a bass driver. This might also mean more than one sub, and not necessarily symmentrically placed. If you could get this right I think you'll be happy.

gassit 15th June 2013 03:03 AM

Thanks everyone.

I knew that someone from the US would chime in once I mentioned sub-woofers.

Whew! I'll have no trouble building the subs but I'm not so sure about the electronics.

Could dumptruck possibly recommend a link to a suitable sub-woofer build thread on this or other forums?

If not, no worries. And, most of all, thank you!

Greebster 15th June 2013 03:14 AM

Might suggest the same. Add at least two subs crossed with a minidsp or similar would remove the deep bass duties of the current woofer and alocate it to midbass midrange duties. This will remove doppler effect heard in vocals, leaving it more open sounding, less constrained, reduces distortion and cooler running.

at least 3/4" roundovers would help

I'd suggest decent MLTL subs. Folded up right could act as stands. Not that this would be the best place for them, but it's an option. The texture and detail aren't muffled like BR or lots of EQ and power if AS.