EPOS 14 Super Size

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have a pair of Epos 14s in excellent condition and with a lovely mid-range and sweet highs.

Bass is good but could do better.

Just wondering: if I was to remove the drive units and crossover, and take note of how the stuffing is arranged, and then place them in another box,would the bass show an improvement (in terms of depth) in a bigger, 75 litre box?

I'd keep the same front baffle width but extend its height to about 42 inches and extend the sides.

A crazy idea or worth doing?

Thanks for listening.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
One advantage of subs is that you can put them where they work best, it's one of the more important things with a bass driver. This might also mean more than one sub, and not necessarily symmentrically placed. If you could get this right I think you'll be happy.

Thanks everyone.

I knew that someone from the US would chime in once I mentioned sub-woofers.

Whew! I'll have no trouble building the subs but I'm not so sure about the electronics.

Could dumptruck possibly recommend a link to a suitable sub-woofer build thread on this or other forums?

If not, no worries. And, most of all, thank you!

Might suggest the same. Add at least two subs crossed with a minidsp or similar would remove the deep bass duties of the current woofer and alocate it to midbass midrange duties. This will remove doppler effect heard in vocals, leaving it more open sounding, less constrained, reduces distortion and cooler running.

at least 3/4" roundovers would help

I'd suggest decent MLTL subs. Folded up right could act as stands. Not that this would be the best place for them, but it's an option. The texture and detail aren't muffled like BR or lots of EQ and power if AS.

I knew that someone from the US would chime in once I mentioned sub-woofers.

Whew! I'll have no trouble building the subs but I'm not so sure about the electronics.

:p

If it's only one person listening, then 1 sub in the near-field (directly) behind your listening position often works very well. It could even be an H frame open baffle or a Ripole with enough eq. and a steep low-pass filter. (..search for more information on H frames and Ripoles.)

A minidsp & mic (along with RoomEQWizard) can handle the freq. response tailoring with time-delay.

If it's for multiple listeners, then it should be 3 or more subs (distributed throughout the room a'la Geddes.

My heart always sinks when I hear people mention Doppler distortion in loudspeakers...:rolleyes:

There is NO SUCH THING! :D

We all know what ambulances sound like when they are approaching or departing, the tone changes, but this has nothing to do with linear systems.

The whole basis of the Fourier Transform is that the sine waves do not interact.

I WOULD buy an explanation that excessive bass takes a loudspeaker outside its linear area and causes INTERMODULATION between frequencies. :cool:

As for more bass from a two-way like the EPOS ES 14, well you really need a three way for a bigger room if you want it to go loud without distortion. That's the simple physics of it!

Last edited:
There seems to be definite like for sub-woofers up there in the States and and a similar degree of dislike in the UK.

Here in Australia, we like 'em all, if it gets the job done.

Btw system7, do you have a physics background? As a brat, I loved physics (Harry Messel and Dr. Julius Sumner Miller were my idols), but didn't have the brains to follow through.

Indeed, a Physics and Telecoms background. I like THIS sort of popular science:

Demystifying the Higgs Boson with Leonard Susskind - YouTube

Top man in the field, Prof. Leonard Susskind. :)

What strikes me about the Epos ES14 is actually the hideously rough first order filter. A mere 2.2uF on the metal tweet and nothing at all on the bass IIRC. Yeah, I know, it's meant to be musical, but that sort of thing always sounded harsh to me...

If I had this speaker, I'd be trying different tweeters and higher order treble filters. But phase might be a pig to line up, and I would need to have a good think about it. :D

Attachments

• Epos_ES14.JPG
    Epos_ES14.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 103
  • Epos_ES14_FR.JPG
    Epos_ES14_FR.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 102
What strikes is that you obviously haven't heard a pair.

The cap is there to protect the tweeter nothing more. Both the tweeter and the mid bass were in-house designed custom drivers whose transfer function was built into the drivers via their physical band electrical characteristics. The handover between the two drivers is actually very good indeed, as good as any passive speaker I've heard.

The tweeter isnt a great unit though, easily bettered today

Last edited:
This is all good stuff!

Could anyone out there recommend a good sub-woofer build that would suit the Epos?

System7, that link was a stunner. You've rekindled my interest in physics. Thanks!
I rewatched it myself. Very good, isn't it? :)

While the subwoofer experts gather their wits, I did a little modelling of the treble filter. It's rather easy to replace the 2.4uF capacitor with something a bit more sophisticated and more phase aligned. I am, as it happens, a bit of an authority on Robin Marshall designs, having owned 3 including the similar Mordaunt Short MS10i. ;)

His trademark is actually a woofer running near full-range, along with a metal dome tweeter. In this case, you can't do anything with the bass unit, the bafflestep is built into the voicecoil, the damping and rolloff into the mechanics of the driver.

Attachments

• Epos_ES14_FirstOrder.PNG
    Epos_ES14_FirstOrder.PNG
    13.5 KB · Views: 97
  • Epos_ES14_2ndOrder.PNG
    Epos_ES14_2ndOrder.PNG
    13 KB · Views: 101
  • Epos_ES14_TrebleFilter.PNG
    Epos_ES14_TrebleFilter.PNG
    7.7 KB · Views: 96
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.