Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th June 2013, 04:34 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Midrange & Tweeter horn for PA

I have currently got the box designs for a pair of 10" beyma 10G40s in a double slot-ported configuration and a pair of 12" subwoofers in a separate rear horn box.

I have a plan to build an expanded foam coated with glass fiber horn enclosure which will house a Selenium 250X midrange and a Selenium DH200 tweeter. Is it essential to have two separate horns for each driver, or could I combine them in a compression chamber or throat and use a single horn? This is what I would prefer, simply from the perspective of making the box smaller. I figure that the horn mouth can be fabricated using a CNC router cutting into polyurethane or EPS foam in two halves, covered with resin and structural fabric (carbon/glass/hemp), and then bonded together.

The approximate depth of the box housing the horn(s) should be around 500mm.

Unfortunately I've been a mac user since 1992, and have no windows, so the modelling software is thin on the ground. Need to install windows, really. HornResp on DarWine was a total fail.

I'll most likely be powering the beymas and the compression drivers using separate amps and using a two way active crossover, so the compression drivers will have a set of highpass passive crossovers to go with these to protect against thumps and other low frequency damage. Should I build them, or buy them?

Last edited by bishopdante; 13th June 2013 at 05:44 AM.
Old 20th June 2013, 10:48 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Umm, any takers?

Time to go install windows, huh.
Old 20th June 2013, 11:37 PM   #3
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Interesting, two different drivers feeding one horn. Not seen it but sure am interested in hearing from those in the know about why you don't see it.
Old 21st June 2013, 02:50 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

there are also a variety of dual-entry horn throat adapters available commercially...

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/Horn_Adaptors1.pdf
Old 21st June 2013, 05:26 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

JBL 2329 Dual Entry Throat is 2", Seleniums are 1" to start with.
Take care with the 2 required horns adapted to the frequencies of the CD's.
Look at the new JBL M2 Master Reference Monitor.
http://www.lydrommet.no/sitefiles/1/...re-Jan2013.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JBL M2_Waveguide.jpg (32.6 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by Inductor; 21st June 2013 at 05:34 AM.
Old 21st June 2013, 06:43 AM   #6
DrBoar is online now DrBoar  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I also bougth my first mac in 92 (LCII with 4 MB RAM and a 80 MB HD!) I currently run Omnimic 2 and Woofer Tester 3 in WinXP installed in Bootcamp with no problems. At work I used Parallells and also that worked. Did your Wine installation work with other programs? (to determine if Wine or hornresponse is the culprit). My understanding of Wine is that it works well with plain vanilla apps but might get into problem with apps that access hardware directly like games

I bought second hand analog active crossovers, cheaper than I could build them. I use serial cap to protect the tweeters. If I was you I would go for a digital filter like the miniDSP where you do time domain adjustements and many other things.
Old 24th June 2013, 01:28 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBoar View Post
If I was you I would go for a digital filter like the miniDSP where you do time domain adjustements and many other things.
Certainly the phase response and configurability of digital crossovers is appealing.

However, this is a PA, so it would be nice to keep it all-analogue, since the signal path will often be microphones>desk>amps>speakers.

I'd be interested to know how those crossovers do in terms of latency, and how good the ADC/DAC parts are. Certainly 24 bit digital sounds pretty good, but it doesn't sound like a cable unless you spend quite a bit of money, especially at high volumes.
Old 24th June 2013, 03:09 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inductor View Post
JBL 2329 Dual Entry Throat is 2", Seleniums are 1" to start with.
The dual-entry horn throats are typically used to combine multiple drivers of the same type to boost power, something that apparently hasn't been massively effective (EV's 4x adapter with 4x matched drivers was only a few dB louder than a single driver on the same horn). There are also various added distortions due to the more complicated path and diffraction etc, but it isn't unheard of to aggregate drivers using a compression chamber.

I'm sure it can be done, perhaps not with a compression chamber but just using a throat of the right shape. One example of a mid-tweet horn would be the waveguide on the Genelec 1038s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inductor View Post
Take care with the 2 required horns adapted to the frequencies of the CD's.
Look at the new JBL M2 Master Reference Monitor.
http://www.lydrommet.no/sitefiles/1/...re-Jan2013.pdf
Have come across those JBLs before, pretty cool, although haven't heard them yet.

However, that's employing a pair of doughnut shaped compression driver diaphragms, which one could define as a single driver on a single horn. That does avoid the issues of trying to aggregate two physically separate drivers into one horn, though.

Hide this!Advertise here!