Troels Classic 3W...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Roger. I just recently discovered that he had gone commercial on his most relevant projects. Don't feel like spending $300 on components I already have. Should have done my homework I suppose. I did communicate with Troels to which he responded with a link to his policy. He wouldn't sell the schematics separately. In other words. You have to buy his crossover elements. The link made it sound like there was some issues with copycats and thieves. Its obvious that the real reason is that the man wants to see some fruits of his hard labor which is reasonable. I just wish it had been done in a more transparent way. Nice fellow though.

I'll just stick with the mk 1 for now and see how that sounds. Maybe I'll splurge on one of the higher end kits if I'm impressed. I can't justify spending the same on capacitors as I do drivers especially when in have a collection of massive air cores and film capacitors looking at me on my project table.

Thanks
It really shouldn't be difficult to convert the Mk.1 3 way classic to a stepped baffle. You just move the tweeter's acoustic centre back a couple of centimetres, and convert the third order to a second order while keeping roughly the same frequency response. Possibly flip the polarity. This is, after all, diy! :cool:

But TBH, stepped baffle is just the latest wheeze, IMO. Bit over-rated. The old asymettric slopes sound good enough. Interestingly, Troels is a quiet convert to ring radiators. But I don't mind metal domes either, with a 7.5R + 0.68uF Zobel to tame the rather zingy top end.

Last edited:
SB or Scanspeak

Hi everybody,

I'm going to pull the trigger and build a pair of Troels' Classic speakers. I can't decide between the SB and Scanspeak version. What would you build? And why? I assume the SB drivers are newer than the Discovery drivers but don't know if they are better or not.

Thank you very much.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.