expert tweeks for PA?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just bought a pair of PA speakers. Each has a 15" driver and a non-descript horn. Without some serious measuring gear I couldn't begin to work out what the simple crossover is suposed to be doing.

THe cabs are 0.0735cu M (2.6cu ft). They have no wadding. They have 2 ports dia70mm (2 3/4") by 120mm (5") deep.

Ok experts, given that they need to handle 300W of RnB, what would you do to improve them? ;)

Ok,Definately put some wadding on the back panel to stop back EMF waves from being passed through the cone as much,this helps get rid of the boomy bass and tighten the bass up,and make the cabinet volume appear bigger.
As you said PA,I don't know what the driver is or what application your using them for ?
home hifi/home cinema/studio/disco/band/djing/events or outdoor festivals?

Well for your typical disco, 200w rms 15 inch bass driver per cab is ok.But without u saying what application they are for and how loud u want them to handle and how accurate? It's hard to say......
But basic improvements to cheap pa speakers is add wadding to back panel,upgrade the internal wiring to about 18 gauge- 12 gauge depending on the power,and definately avoid piezo tweeters for all applications.

One cheap tweek would be to line them with fibreglass,
(don't block the ports).

The main job of the crossover is to stop your horn tweeters dissappearing in a puff of smoke.
Without further details one has to assume that they are not wrong.

The same can be said about the port tuning which is in the right ballpark.

Good connections and wiring allways helps - make up some proper speakers cables,
I've lost count of the number of PA speakers I've seen connected via guitar cables.

;)/sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.