tesla loudspeakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i acquired a pair of old speakers from a friend of mine. i tried researching these speakers but could not find anything about them. hopefully someone here might know.

brand and model number are Tesla ARO-666. it's an 8" speaker with a blue frame and a black plastic cover over the magnet. very vintage: thin paper cone, accordion surround, no real dust cap, instead there is a small mesh. apparently they came out of an old record player.

i built a roughly 25liter sealed enclosure for them and they sound very detailed and full as they are just running fullrange with no eq or xo. impressive for a pair of speakers that sat hanging off a shelf, in a free-air baffle, in a dusty garage on a farm for at least a decade, with the sun constantly beating on their back through the window.

anyway, just wanted to see if anyone on the forum has heard of these drivers or even the brand.

I remembered this thread a while ago and after cracking open a pair of Toshibas that my friend had given me, I just had to post. I have the exact same speakers that you are using right now. I'm going to measure their T/S specs in about 30 minutes or so. If you want efficiency and such numbers, tell me how to measure them and I will.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Bose(o) said:
SPL: 74dB.@1W, 1m. (seems a little low.)

It certainly does... i've had a number of these, and they were all closer to the 86-87 dB figure mentioned earlier.

dave

Attachments

• tesla666-0404.jpg
    tesla666-0404.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 395
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Bose(o) said:
Where did you enlist your Tesla speakers for use? I was thinking of using the C-channel on my Sansui for the other sections of the basement and also making use of Open Baffles.

All mine (except the pair i have to glue back up (they were glued, not svrewed to the baffle and didn't come off too well)) quickly went to new homes. They are quite suitable for OB use. Should work in an alpha TL or ML-TQWT as well.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.