Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th June 2013, 11:44 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 4 way speaker help high end

Hey guys I was originally going to buy a speaker but there's nothing on the market that really matches exactly what I want, plus I enjoyed building subwoofers in the past

It will be an entirely digital source, as I want to actively split the signal for each component.

I want to use 2 inch tc epic 10's in each speaker, each in sealed cabinets. I will be powering them with 500w each.

Here's where I run into problems...how high exactly can these drivers play? I was hoping to cross them over at 150hz but I know this may not be possible, it may need to be more like 80-120.

Next I was going to use a ribbon tweeter from 20 khz ish to 4-6 depending on which model. Open to recommendations.

For midrange I was thinking of using the Bohlender Graebener Neo10 or a high quality driver, not sure which, would like recommendations.

Next is the part I'm really stuck on...I need something that can really produce massive mid bass (protentially 80 hz-300 ish) slam. I was thinking maybe a pro driver? 10 inch/2x8 inch with decent xmax? Really not clue, something with really low distortion at high volumes, which still sounds full at low volumes.

Anyway if any of you guys could offer some help I'd be really grateful, I don't know a lot about the frequencies above 80 hz....

Design goals are speakers that are able to go really loud with very low distortion, which are roughly 11-12 inches wide.

So to sum up .... 25/30 - 80/150 ...tc epic 10 x2 each side
80/150- 250/400 mid bass driver??recommendations wanted
250/400 - 5k-7k neo 10
5/7k + ribbon tweeter/other recommendation

If you could also help with amplification/ a digital crossover to split/adjust as required the signal that would be great. Thanks in advance.

Budget is basically unlimited

If there's a better driver than the tc epic 10 then I'd be interested in hearing about it...
Old 7th June 2013, 11:50 AM   #2
waricle is offline waricle  Australia
diyAudio Member

deqx is what you need 1
Old 7th June 2013, 11:58 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

As far as the specific drivers i don't know much.

In terms of the electronics MiniDSP 8x8 and UMIK-1 measurement mic would be my suggestion. Then you can pretty much throw any drivers together and integrate them with full freedom over crossovers points, levels, EQ etc etc.

If you want a better sound quality then suggest nanoDIGI taking the spdif outputs to your own DACs.

Alternatively, if you want to have the power of FIR filtering, then mininSHARC module with I2S interface to your own DAC modules will do nicely.

When you're talking about 8 channels of amplification with budget, i'd be looking at the Hypex modules.

Lower power for the tweeter and higher power modules for the bass.

Last edited by mrwireless; 7th June 2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 7th June 2013, 12:35 PM   #4
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by running123 View Post
Budget is basically unlimited
I hope you can afford to loose/waste it too
Old 7th June 2013, 12:40 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

This is a mid that might cover your needs: http://profesional.beyma.com/pdf/8LW30E.pdf

If you want to experiment with linear phase miniDSP openDRC + rePhase is a good option.

I would suggest Hypex DLCP for the IIR filters and if cost is no object NC400 amps.
Old 7th June 2013, 12:45 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

"I hope you can afford to loose/waste it too"

I'll set a ROUGH budget, less than 12000

I won't be building this yet, will do it in two years, broke at the moment (student) but guaranteed position in a lucrative field.

will spend a LONG time researching before I do anything.
Old 7th June 2013, 12:50 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Jenzen-Diamond
to save money, you could use the Seas Nextel.
Fully developed, significant performance. Why spend more?
Old 7th June 2013, 05:19 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I would like to think this is possible for less than 5000...wouldn't imagine it would cost too much more than that...

tc epic 10 = $150, x4= $600
Bohlender Graebener Neo10 Planar Transducer = $200, x2 = $400
Ribbon tweeter = eg Aurum Cantus G2 $200 (this unit may change) = $200 x2 = $400

then there's the mid bass... say $600? for 4 8inch/2 10?

subtotal $2000

mini dsp $400

Speaker cabinet $200??

that's $2600, then I need amplifiers, lets say $2500

then finally leave $400 for random expenses.

so $5500 = 3540, plus import taxes if \I use mainly american products...still under 5000.

I say cost no object but diminishing returns above this price when doing it all diy surely?

I definitely want to build it myself/be able to tweak everything...that's at least half the fun

Still having a problem with the mid bass driver... thinking dayton reference/Aurum Cantus AC-250MKII 10" Carbon Fiber Sandwich Woofer/something by seas... really no idea what would sound cleanest loud and have good sound at low volume in a small enclosure.

Thanks for the help so far, the suggestions are making me feel like this is possible!!
Old 7th June 2013, 05:28 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Problem with the beyma speaker is the xmax...4.5mm, at 100 hz I don't think it will be enough.

I want the woofer above the epic 10's to be able to equal the output at the crossover point if possible, efficiency of the epic 10's are low (85db) but they genuinely take 500rms
Old 8th June 2013, 02:27 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by running123 View Post
Problem with the beyma speaker is the xmax...4.5mm, at 100 hz I don't think it will be enough.

I want the woofer above the epic 10's to be able to equal the output at the crossover point if possible, efficiency of the epic 10's are low (85db) but they genuinely take 500rms
Efficiency is relative when running a system active. Adjusting the level either digitally or preferably input level adjustment on the amp. to match. Looks like your overall upper power limit would be around 112-113dB.

Hide this!Advertise here!