Understanding Danley Synergy ? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th June 2013, 11:47 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Location: Sitting behind the 'puter screen, in Illinois, USA, planet earth
Hi Guys
A DIY version??
I would love to, I started building speakers as a kid and never stopped.

That being said, while the company has my name on it and I design the stuff, it is my partner is who has made the company successful with those designs and has done so in a different way than “normal”.

I have talked to Bill W. about the DIY thing and I hoped that (having someone else do it = minimum hassle) would have been the turning point but it wasn’t or at least hasn’t been yet.

We have our “big fat Geek trade show” next week (Infocomm) which has absorbed everyone’s attention for a good while now at work.

I will talk to Mike about this again at the show because I would love to have people hear them at home, I couldn’t go back to normal speakers now.

The only general thing I would do is put a small tilt in the frequency response like hifi speakers usually have because at the switch to CD’s, recordings got brighter so they could ”sound better” and now often “Flat” sounds too bright in the living room.
Best,
Tom
Old 6th June 2013, 01:53 AM   #22
JLH is offline JLH  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Danley View Post
Hi Guys
I will talk to Mike about this again at the show because I would love to have people hear them at home, I couldn’t go back to normal speakers now.
Please do! I've never had any of my DIY versions sound as good as the SH-46. Most of us can't afford the pro sound prices of the normal Synergy line.
Old 6th June 2013, 02:05 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

I know it's been discussed before and it's no secret people are interested in such a venture, but since we're talking about it... Anything under $1k would have my eyebrows up.
Old 6th June 2013, 02:55 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
This then requires a crossover who’s magnitude and phase is what is required to mate the magnitude and phases of each range and this is never a normal test book shape but one that is adapted to the conditions. How i do that has evolved but is certainly based on careful measurements of the real thing.
Tom,

If you ever want to make the transition to active digital crossovers, given the "special" nature of your magnitude and phase responses, you might find this technique to be very useful:
IEEE Xplore - Precise Filter Design [DSP Tips & Tricks]
Precise Filter Design - Streamlining Digital Signal Processing: A Tricks of the Trade Guidebook, Second Edition - Berchin - Wiley Online Library

Greg
Old 6th June 2013, 03:58 AM   #25
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

Yeah... it might start as a small group buy, and then turn into the largest ever.
Old 6th June 2013, 04:46 AM   #26
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The only general thing I would do is put a small tilt in the frequency response ...........
Greets!

Small tilt?! The ones I briefly auditioned at Gainesville with one of the Spider-Man movies were so bright/harsh they sounded like King Kong was ripping aluminum sheeting in the lightning scenes, which considering my hearing only goes to around 12k solidly these days makes me wonder if just HF attenuation is enough.

Otherwise, the horn speaker system performance I strived for, but never quite achieved. Really close, but no cigar. I've been very close to lightning strikes three times, so figured that if I could replicate at least the 'flavor' of its literally hair raising intensity it could handle any music/movie recordings I was likely to ever own with aplomb, but never quite got the heart attack fast transients quite right.

GM
Old 6th June 2013, 11:40 AM   #27
JLH is offline JLH  United States
diyAudio Member

Here is the Danley Sound Labs Facebook page. Let's post our support for a price friendly home edition Synergy horn.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/DanleySoundLabs?fref=ts
Old 6th June 2013, 12:40 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

GM,

is it possible that you were hearing accurately what both the sound track had on it and that poured through some not terribly nice solid state amplification, and possibly very capacitive speaker cables over a long run?

_-_-bear

Last edited by bear; 6th June 2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 6th June 2013, 01:14 PM   #29
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

The soundtrack, no; the rest is DSL's demo 'room' with apparently all the high $$$ electronics, test gear one could need for a full blown concert [didn't have a clue what most of it was for] in a curtained off space of a relatively small warehouse, so one would think that any signal processing would be optimized to a fare-thee-well.

I haven't been to a large outdoor concert in over a decade now, so for all I know this is what passes for high SQ concert sound these days and may sound OK in such an app due to air absorption, etc., but for HIFI/HT, I'd need to be near deaf to tolerate it and unfortunately there wasn't time to demo some of the smaller speakers with different drivers for comparison.

GM
Old 6th June 2013, 02:24 PM   #30
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I heard the entire DSL line at Infocomm last year, and they all seemed a little bright at medium distances. OK, the subs didn't.* I figured that was an artifact of them being meant for long throw.

When I heard the SH50 again some months later and in another state, it didn't sound as bright. Curiously it was in a smaller space that time. The SH50 was well balanced in that smaller venue. Mostly it was used for live microphone and people speaking, but some music samples were also played. It seemed very well balanced there. I don't have an explanation for the difference.

*The sub demo was funny. The SPL was very high, but didn't seem it. The boxes and drivers were so well behaved that they just didn't sound loud. But everything else in the ballroom was buzzing, rattling and singing like mad. Obviously a prodigious amount of acoustic energy in the room, but no distress or noise from the subs. Impressive.

Hide this!Advertise here!