Can I run this x-over past folks? Esotar + Volt - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd June 2013, 02:14 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Can I run this x-over past folks? Esotar + Volt

Hi all,

I recently bought some old man's DIY high-end speaker build from his son who knew nothing about hifi. Unfortunately the father is now living in a home, suffering from dementia..

Anyway, to cut to the point:

When I got them home I discovered that the guy had obviously gone active as the space where the crossover would have sat was empty and the wires (nice load of Kimber Kable) going straight through..

The build uses Esotar T330D + M560D + Volt B2500.1 in a transmission line (hence why I bought them !)

I have some paperwork but mostly just data sheets from the above BUT also a NetCalc printout with x-over diagrams and values - I guess these are from Wilmslow Audio in UK. However, I can't be sure that these are absolutely correct or if they take into account the transmission line part..

As sealed units, is the T330 crossover standard and also most of the M560D crossover quite standard? Obviously the lower crossover point would vary dependant on the bass driver..

There are a couple of hand written notes on the paper stating that actual x-over points were 1100 and 2000.

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated as I just want to hear them!

P.S. is there an area on the forum where I can post up scans of the '94 Volt driver datasheets for people?

Here are the scans and also a brief pic of the speakers themselves as attachments:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SG101554.jpg (87.1 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg x-0ver 1.jpg (331.7 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg x-over 2.jpg (327.9 KB, 91 views)
Old 2nd June 2013, 03:28 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

they LOOK nice. Pity the mid is so far away from the tweeter.
Old 2nd June 2013, 03:38 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Close up the finish is a bit wobbly - like the outer skin is a plaster that's been hand applied - but the basic design is nice, especially with the lack of baffle.

I agree with you about the mid/tweeter placement too.

Once I've got them up and running and lived with them for a while, I'll think about a new cabinet.
Old 2nd June 2013, 03:41 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Out of interest, do the 330D and M560D actually need an enclosure at all as sealed units?

For a future cabinet design I might try isolated sections to mount them in - currently they sit in in the main transmission line part if you see what I mean, all drivers in the same void.
Old 2nd June 2013, 08:43 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

It has made no sense to me to use anything but multi-amps for the last 50 years. Go to your local second-hand store and get some amps. Old amps are much cleaner than new drivers, so the match makes sense. No way to make crossovers that are accurate, stable, low impedance, economic, and/or crafted right except through much more trouble than just using electronic crossing over.

Ben
Old 2nd June 2013, 09:48 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Then I'd have to re-assess my whole enjoyment of hifi.

Part of that is classic gear and I feel my Nestorovic amps are something special so far. I could try to find 2 more pairs but that's probably a 5K outlay at dealer prices (not what I paid for mine - but I'd have to wait many years for non-dealer sales).

I'd like to hear the speakers sooner rather than later and x-overs will be the cheaper option compared to anything else that will satisfy the non-sonic part of my interest in the hobby. Besides which, there are no local second-hand stores in London who sell decent hifi. Too many savvy people who know values on ebay and safety laws mean electrical goods are too much hassle to test for electrical safety for cheap secondhand stores to sell.

I almost bought some Dayton Wright speakers but couldn't stump up the cash in time.. the ones with the big transformer box thing (model had an "8" in it). How are they?

Last edited by NATDBERG; 2nd June 2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 2nd June 2013, 10:53 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Glad you love your Nestorovics but, as you see, my opinion is quite different.

My Dayton-Wrights are doing great. No obvious deterioration over past few decades. Nobody else ever made anything quite like them.

Ben
Old 3rd June 2013, 12:01 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

The impression that they had to be regularly re-filled with the gas also made me hesitate - perhaps with more confidence or knowledge about them I'd have got the money together quicker.

Still, so many speakers to try and so little time - not buying one pair means you're free to try another.

Back to the speakers here, yes I'm definately someone who likes the nicely made gear too and not into getting the cheapest thing to sound the best. I've always thought that's a great philosophy and a great challenge for another day but ultimately, for me personally, unsatisfying in terms of enjoying build quality, industrial design and aesthetics. Maybe one day I'll get over it and have a set of class-D monoblocks hidden away driving an active system.

Oddly though, with speakers I'm less fussy with the aesthetics.
Old 3rd June 2013, 12:04 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Any opinions on the cross-over values/schematics?

Or shall I just buy the parts and see what happens, tweak later?
Old 3rd June 2013, 02:08 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I'd plug those values into an online crossover calculator, to determine whether Wilmslow used a generic '8' ohms, or were working from impedance plots.
It's relatively easy to run your own impedance plots using Arta & a simple jig

Hide this!Advertise here!