Why Duct Sealing Tape on the Back of Drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I notice that many suggest, and use, a mod to some drivers wherein they tape around the back of the driver sealing the magnet to the basket (but not covering the openings in the basket).

Why?

I have done this with my test set up and $1 driver in an OB and it *seems* to have better 125hz-400hz lower midrange performance, presence and "there-ness".

What do you all hear that improves the sound when this duct tape is used?

I notice that many suggest, and use, a mod to some drivers wherein they tape around the back of the driver sealing the magnet to the basket (but not covering the openings in the basket).

Why?

I have done this with my test set up and $1 driver in an OB and it *seems* to have better 125hz-400hz lower midrange performance, presence and "there-ness".

The tape is most probably helping to mechanically damp the basket, and can also be seen as reinforcement for the structure. The cheaper and flimsier the driver, the more noticeable the audible benefits are likely to be.

A simple test is to ping the basket with a screwdriver before and after the tape has been applied, you will most likely hear a very big difference in favor of the taped version.

Undamped mechanical resonances and noise from the basket can be quite significant, and these get transmitted into the baffle.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.