Help with bass response on my first build...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'm using a TA2024 with a soldered on stereo input. I'm removing the input and replacing it with a chassis mount...I'm guessing the BSC goes between the input and the board then?

TA2024 MKV Bluetooth Tripath Amplifier 2X 15 Watts 12V Fully Finished | eBay

Thanks -

Yes that's right. I'm not sure what the input impedance of your amp is but it should probably be high enough that the BSC circuit will be fine. Rod says in some circumstances a buffer is necessary, but try without one and see how it goes :)

Tony.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Another quick question -

I'm sourcing from Solen here in Canada:

Solen Electronique Inc.

Looks like the inductors are available in 20 AWG and at 0.51mH. Is this okay? For the caps and resistors, what variants are the cheapest?

Thanks in advance.

That small a difference is fine. they are often +- 5% or 10% anyway :)

The cheapest caps are usually bipolar electrolytics, but for small value caps I prefer to use polypropylene. I'd go with the cheapest poly caps they have there. you only need 1uf, 1.5uf and 5uF (I think they have 5.1uF) The 10uF is the one on the existing crossover. The 630uH coil is also the one on the existing crossover, so the only coil is the 0.51mH one.

For the resistors just get non-inductive white coffin types :) They are usually about $1.50 each. If you don't want to spend so much on the caps have a look at the bi-polar electrolytics (Though defiinitely get a polypropylene one for the 1.5uF in the notch filter. I found that electrolytics in notch filters do not perform as expected). 50V ones should be more than adequate for the power you have.

Tony.

An alternative way of cutting down crossover costs is to use a non-polarised electrolyic cap in parallel with a small poly cap.

So for the 5uF you need, get a 4.7uF electrolytic, and add a 330nF poly cap in parallel.

It means a bit more soldering, but I'd say this gets you the best price-performance ratio.

Chris

The cheapest caps are usually bipolar electrolytics, but for small value caps I prefer to use polypropylene. I'd go with the cheapest poly caps they have there. you only need 1uf, 1.5uf and 5uF (I think they have 5.1uF) The 10uF is the one on the existing crossover. The 630uH coil is also the one on the existing crossover, so the only coil is the 0.51mH one.

Tony.

I didn't realize the schematic included the existing crossover, but should have :)

Cheers.

Yes that's right. I'm not sure what the input impedance of your amp is but it should probably be high enough that the BSC circuit will be fine. Rod says in some circumstances a buffer is necessary, but try without one and see how it goes :)

Tony.

Here are the specs:
14W at 4 Ω maximal power. ( >1% THD 12@ V)
- Bandwidth: 5hz ~ 24KHZ <1Db
- Single 12V 3.5A power supply needed Idle current, 85mA
- Super sized output coils rated 3A
- Rubycon buffer capacitors, 2X 16V/680uF at just 2mm from the IC
- 400V 2.2uF Audio grade film capacitor used
- 5V supply onboard
- Handy screw connectors for power/speakers/signal input, no soldering needed
- heat sink

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.