Helping out in the bass department

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have been using a pair of diatone 610MB (8 ohm) in a bass reflex cabinet (65L) for about 1 year+ now. I am quite satisfied everything except the bass department. There is a big dip around 60Hz that I cannot get rid of regardless of the placement of the speakers. I use my TACT room correction system to try to compensate for this deficiency but the gap is too great. If I boost the affected frequencies too much, I get unpleasant distortion (sort of like the speaker is out of phase during the passage with the offending frequency content). The only compromise at the moment is to boost the affected frequencies moderately. However, I get the feeling I m missing out on something that just won’t do. I am now thinking about adding an active crossover around / above the 60Hz dip and add a low frequency system (be it a subwoofers or a bass drivers in boxes).

My question is this – what low frequency system would complement the Diatones ? I have looked around on the net & it would seem that a marchand active crossover (www.marchandelec.com) + a VBT subwoofer (http://www.vbtsubwoofers.com/buzz.php) may be a possible solution. Any comments on this combination ?

A little background on my system :

Source : Theta Pearl CDT (modified with trichord clock 3) + AN dac 1.1 (deeply modified)

Room Correction : TACT RCS2.0 (second hand unit)

Preamp : DIY based on Allen Wright’s FVP

Amp : DIY based on Transcendent Sound T8 OTL

Speaker : Diatone 610MB in 65L BR cabinet + helper tweeter (SEAS) with 1 cap as crossover (around 15~16KHz)

Room : 17ft length X 11.7 ft width X 9.2 ft height with some room treatment

I am handicapped in the sense that I am unable to try out any components before purchase as I live in a relatively remote town in Malaysia. Please assist.

Regards,
Joe Ling

Attachments

• speaker.jpg
    speaker.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 703
the subwoofer in question-
the frequency response is so smoothed as to be a joke-it might aswell be a modeled response from winisd.

However it does 'seem' to reach down low.
Personally id Always buy the raw woofer,and model its possibilities! Not buy a pre made system.

your gear looks amazing!:hot: :cool:

I saw you testing your avatar in the off topic forum,very cool pics! high MP camera!

Just a tentative suggestion ?

What's the designed port tuning for you 65 litre boxes ?

Your port appears to be overdamped to me ?

Tuning the port to 60Hz and allowing some airflow should
mean it will be able to take some juice at 60Hz, as there
is a sharp null in driver excursion at the port frequency.

:) /sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.