designing crossover and enclosure without a data sheet.Help please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
EW, that's not what I would have picked. FWIW, Lynn Olson reckons Titanium is a lousy resonant metal to choose for domes, even aluminium being better... :(

THAT is gonna need a third order tweeter filter to stand a chance of working. I got something like the circuit below with the 1.5R resistor in the bass shunt being best lost to allow for the recessed Audax TM025F7 dome. It's messy. I'm not even sure it'll work very well.

There's a fabulous site called "Mark's Project Pages" here, where he uses a Audax TM025F1, the soft dome equivalent.
Audax Mini-Monitors

FWIW, the Rogers LS5/9 speaker is worth reading about too. Birch Ply and the grandaddy of all those Cubic Foot 8" plus 1" polypropylene speakers.
Rogers Speakers - BBC LS5/9

Not a million miles from what you are building actually. :cool:

Attachments

• Titanium_Horn_Tweeter.PNG
    Titanium_Horn_Tweeter.PNG
    8.3 KB · Views: 136
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
It's a bit of a religious thing ;) Personally I don't like any metal domed tweeter that I have heard, but some people equally dislike soft domes much preferring metal...

I'm not at all familiar with the tweeter you mention but Steve seems to be.

Personally without knowing the T/S params of the units I would probably go with a sealed enclosure rather than vented. It's a lot harder to get a bad result with sealed in my opinion :)

I still think that measuring the T/S params yourself is the way to go :cool:

Tony.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Every implementation is different but for the most part, I'd see titanium as being used for its stiffness whereas a better approach might be to go for a material that is better damped. In other words, rather than simply trying to prevent a cone/dome from misbehaving it is better to let it misbehave as long as it has the ability to correct itself. This explains why I prefer paper woofers and also why a damped enclosure (walls) can perform better than a purely stiff one.

I haven't built a serious vented enclosure for a long time, except for a couple of MLTLs which I used with full-range drivers to extend them considerably. I have a little fibreglass in the ports which I use to adjust them by ear, depending on the ambient temperature. Being in my garage this can go from greater than 40C to well below zero.

Thats a good explanation Allan. think i may get paper tweeters to match if the sound is better.im not sure what to expect from the finished speaker. most of my listening is done on a £40 sony ipod dock :D. since doing my HND at college im learning to enjoy finer quality.hopefully they should turn out ok.crossovers etc are completely new to me. i am actually amazed when you guys just know from experience and instinct what is needed etc to make it better

You can tell I'm not warming to the idea of titanium tweeters. Far too metallic sounding IMO.

I have a known liking for the Visaton TW70 cone tweeter for all its limitations.
TW 70 - 8 Ohm

Giving a 5" woofer, the W130S a whirl in Boxsim, I get a 10L enclosure closed box like this A4 paper size front panel:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I used a series filter with a heavy bafflestep suitable for use in the middle of the room, say on the kitchen surface. LOVELY phase and imaging...:D

What is strange is I've never heard this combination. But I think it'll do alright. :cool:

Attachments

• Vifa_series.PNG
    Vifa_series.PNG
    7.1 KB · Views: 98
  • Vifa_Series_FR.PNG
    Vifa_Series_FR.PNG
    19.4 KB · Views: 94
  • Vifa_Series_Phase.PNG
    Vifa_Series_Phase.PNG
    25.9 KB · Views: 89
HI guys,

I have had a reply form Audio components BV who Vifa pointed me to for the info i needed this is what i received.

The Vifa TC14WG05-08 is an OEM driver. This means that's it's made especially for a specific customer
according to the wishes of that customer. Data of OEM drivers is not available to the public, so i cannot
provide you with TS-parameter, freq.curves etc, i'm sorry.
Maybe you can contact the company who sold you the drivers and ask them for information, another
option is to make the driver measurements yourself or by somebody who has the proper equipment.

HI guys,

I have had a reply form Audio components BV who Vifa pointed me to for the info i needed this is what i received.

The Vifa TC14WG05-08 is an OEM driver. This means that's it's made especially for a specific customer
according to the wishes of that customer. Data of OEM drivers is not available to the public, so i cannot
provide you with TS-parameter, freq.curves etc, i'm sorry.
Maybe you can contact the company who sold you the drivers and ask them for information, another
option is to make the driver measurements yourself or by somebody who has the proper equipment.

WIGANWEZ, don't get too bogged down in details here. A 5.5 inch paper driver is a fairly standard sort of thing. It's gonna be around 10L box size, just hard to say whether it's a reflex or closed box driver at heart. Try closed box first, then try a little reflex too. The tube can go on the back or the front. You'll make life easy with a removeable panel on the back or front, which will allow you to experiment.

I think you'll end up here anyway:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I've given you a few crossover circuits. This is a good tweeter too, and will work OK with the parallel circuits:
SEAS 22TFF.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.