Pushed tweeter cone back in - not working anymore...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Solved! Pushed tweeter cone back in - not working anymore...

Hi, i got a pair of Mordaunt Short MS5.20 speakers for free a few days ago. The only problem is that the right metal tweeter was pushed in a little bit, but worked fine.

Being a tad OCD, I unscrewed the tweeter and pushed the diaphragm thing back from the inside like I have done with a few other speakers. However, when I put the tweeter pack inside - it does not work! A spare tweeter for another speaker I had lying around worked fine however...

Is there anything I can do to try and repair the tweeter? I don't have a multimeter lying around, so cannot test for impedance :'(

Last edited:
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Sometimes a tweeter can sound slightly better with a small dent in it by strengthening the dome against breakup modes. I'm not saying it's something you should do regularly though ;)

I'd recommend soldering the strands, otherwise vibration and contaminants may upset the connection. You should use a hot iron and avoid solder wicking up the leader and solidifying it.

Next time use a vacuum cleaner.

Sounds like a bad idea on a metal tweeter...

Sometimes a tweeter can sound slightly better with a small dent in it by strengthening the dome against breakup modes. I'm not saying it's something you should do regularly though ;)

I'd recommend soldering the strands, otherwise vibration and contaminants may upset the connection. You should use a hot iron and avoid solder wicking up the leader and solidifying it.

I'll solder it in a few weeks when I get around to buying a new iron, my old one let out it's magic smoke...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.