Hearing and the future of loudspeaker design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I get it, David ... very nice on PC speakers when everything has nicely warmed up - an excellent test track for system performance in general, I would say, on a first rough listen ...

Don't give up, :) ... and thanks for making it, and uploading ...

Try to listen for the builders hammering away on a roof, just after the rain, ~100yards in front. (and a bit left and downhill) It is a real thrill for me to hear low frequency sounds localized in front, through glass, in a gale! Poor buggers!

Last edited:
Try to listen for the builders hammering away on a roof, just after the rain, ~100yards in front. (and a bit left and downhill) It is a real thrill for me to hear low frequency sounds localized in front, through glass, in a gale! Poor buggers!
Ah hah! Yes, I heard 'extraneous' sounds at one point in the recording, that didn't tie in with rain 'sounds' - I didn't try and pinpoint what it was, just noted its presence - thanks for identifying the source!

Edit: I was running this at high volume, to create an appropriately 'immersive' experience, and at one stage went outside to do something - I was struck by how strongly the sound carried through the window glass and beyond to the street - anyone walking along would have been completely bamboozled by this illogical phenomenon ... !

Last edited:
Yes it does and exactly what needs to be done. If we want to compensate for the additional effects of headphone playback then we need to measure them, build a filter and convolve it with the playback signal.

It is not as simple as you make out. If you want to reproduce the sound of your speakers and you measure the speaker/room IR, and the heaphone IR using the same mic position, then, in effect, you are doing a ratiometric measurement, where the mic response drops out. Measuring your heaphones with a small blocked meatus mic and, in effect, using the IR of my dummy head is not doing quite the same thing. This approach of the Realizer also ignores the possibility of sound transmission by another path ie. 'bone conduction', that is not the same for speaker and headphone, and is not picked up by the mic in any case.

Last edited:
Ah hah! Yes, I heard 'extraneous' sounds at one point in the recording, that didn't tie in with rain 'sounds' - I didn't try and pinpoint what it was, just noted its presence - thanks for identifying the source!

Edit: I was running this at high volume, to create an appropriately 'immersive' experience, and at one stage went outside to do something - I was struck by how strongly the sound carried through the window glass and beyond to the street - anyone walking along would have been completely bamboozled by this illogical phenomenon ... !

There must be a bit of audiophile in me to obsess about such things, but please do not tell anybody!

I suppose they would be expecting fire, not rain...

Last edited:
James Taylor - Fire and Rain, Live 1970 - YouTube ...
Who knew they had youtube back then!
Unfortunately, our house is in the thick of the bad stuff you've been hearing about, we have friends not too far away that had the flames aiming directly towards them ... luckily, conditions calmed down in time ...

I could have dropped a bad taste b******* there.. Glad it turned out the way you say.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.