Vifa M18 in 3way? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd December 2003, 04:53 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Vifa M18 in 3way?

Anyone used the Vifa M18 7" in as the bottom end in a 3 way design?

Mos
Old 3rd December 2003, 05:54 AM   #2
michael is offline michael  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to michael
I have not done this but i could assume that it could be very nice, but it already extends high enough to use in a 2way with a capable tweeter. what would you plan on using as the mid and high?
Old 3rd December 2003, 06:24 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Michael

P13 as the mid and XT25 as the tweeter. Xoed at around 250 and 3000.

Mos
Old 3rd December 2003, 07:23 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

with no experience on these drivers i cant really make actual recomendations but i can give you my two cents, i think that a 3 way with the XT, the 3" mid dome (D75MX) and then the M18, maybe with a crossover of 750Hz and 4.5KHz. my reasoning behind this is that the lower midrange smoothness of the M18 should not be wasted.
what do you think?
Old 3rd December 2003, 07:44 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Mmm, the experienced heads around here (not mine) might say that in it's price range (and somewhat beyond) there's nary a driver smoother from 300-3000 than the P13.

Besides, the idea of crossing the M18 lower rather than higher is to relieve it of the job of handling mids and hand that off to a specialty mid driver, as the P13 is considered.

Mos
Old 3rd December 2003, 07:49 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

ok, so why not use an 8" or 10" for below 250Hz which would have much lower response. and it would not be dealing with anything higher which naturally they do not handle well.
Old 3rd December 2003, 07:58 AM   #7
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

My company sells a kitset called the AKSonic with a complex, carefully engineered crossover using the Vifa M18 and the X25T ring tweeter in a two way.

This is an exceptionally good combination, with gorgeous imaging, unbelievable detail and wonderful engagement.

The M18 has a very strong motor (BIL of 7.5) with very high mechanical Q (6.7). This makes it place rather than play the note.

Recommended.

Cheers,

Hugh
Old 3rd December 2003, 08:19 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi, Hugh

You think the M18 has good potential to be crossed over low in a 3 way?

The results I've got from LspCad show a good F3 of 35hz in a 55 litre box tuned to 34hz.

Michael:

I was thinking about the Vifa M22 8", built for smaller vbs and with and Fs of 26hz. It's just a lot more expensive, that's all, and when you're buying 4 woofers that can get out of hand.

--------

Furthermore, Keith Kidder (Hi, Keith) gave me an idea when he suggested that the Vifa M series drivers were a poor man's scanspeak.

If you try modelling the drivers, dual M18s, P13 and XT 25, they could be made to perform (and look ) like a poor man's Sonus Faber Cremona quasi-clone. Not quite the bang but nowhere near the buck.

Anyone?

Mos
Old 3rd December 2003, 09:05 AM   #9
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Mos,

I like these Vifas. Half the cost of th 8545 Scanspeak, and maybe 90% of the quality. I don't see them as a poor man's Scanspeak; rather, I see the Scanspeak as a cynically marketed speaker for the DIY perfectionist.......

Yes, these drivers will do fine crossed over low, BUT, they are also a midrange speaker, up to 2,500Hz is just fine, and I see this as a waste.

I prefer to use two ways, and augment with a sub. I feel this has less damaging effect on the music in that essential 200Hz-3KHz range where most of the imaging is found. A three way uses a band pass filter and their effect on phase is horrific.

Cheers,

Hugh
Old 3rd December 2003, 09:11 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hugh said:

Quote:
I like these Vifas. Half the cost of th 8545 Scanspeak, and maybe 90% of the quality. I don't see them as a poor man's Scanspeak; rather, I see the Scanspeak as a cynically marketed speaker for the DIY perfectionist.......
I can't comment on the veracity of your statement, Hugh, but I do like a man with a firm opinion!

Mos

Hide this!Advertise here!