What would you do with a load of revelator drivers??? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th May 2013, 08:52 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default What would you do with a load of revelator drivers???

Hi guys,

Recently I picked up 4 scan speak 15w/8531K00 mid woofers and a pair of D63004/660000 tweeters. Grabbed them as they were cheap and I'd always planned on buying them one day.

when I have time and money I'll build them into a propper 3-way set up, but in the mean time it seemed a waste to have them 'laying around'.

So what would you do with them?
What would be a fast and 'safe' build?
I was thinking ported MTM, buit this is my first time with a build like this.

At the moment it would seem a 32L ported enclosure would give me reasonably flay response down to about 50hz, and 'useable' response to 30.

Also, from the fr data alone i was planning on xo at 1khz, but almost all the revelator designs seem to xo at about 1750.

I'm pretty concerned about the high efficiency of the tweeter vs the woofers, and have read online that a LCR pad is almost always needed with a 660000 rather than a standard L-pad, but I only have experience with the later?

Any ideas and suggestions are welcomed, be it open baffle, sealed enclosure, ported, even TL! basically what would you do as a cheap, safe build?
(by safe I mean 'predicatable or adjustable performance' prior to building!
Old 11th May 2013, 02:25 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi, troels gives some directions using the midwoofer but with other ss tw. IMHO I would go for an active crossover, the dsp is so cheap and with two dedicated amps and a flexible crossover to change "on the fly" the frequency, delay, phase, it is just so easy to have an very good sounding speaker...
But if you still wanna a passive solution I ould go for the zaph audio one
Zaph|Audio - ZRT - Revelator Tower the driver is bigger so adjust for your parameters and you will be very satisfied.
Good luck
Murillo
Old 11th May 2013, 12:39 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Where should I start with adjusting parameters of this design?
I'm a noob to cabinet design and calculations, only just gotten my head around loudspeaker theory and crossovers, i'm starting to think that ignoring cabinet design all these years has been a grave error!

I always intended on starting with building PSU's and amplifiers, but these drivers have changed things.

Also, active XO's make a lot of sense, I have a 5-channel power amplifier in the bedroom where I'd want to use these speakers, so relatively easy to implement... except, I don't know anything about active XOs and the whole point of this project is to be quick and easy... so unless there's a cheap introductory (and high quality?) active xo kit I'm a little stuck.

Also, as there's also revelator subs available, would an active xo allow me to implement a 2.1 signal from a digital/line level stereo input?

thanks all
Old 11th May 2013, 12:55 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I'd go with a 2.5 way too, unless you need to place them in close proximity to any walls, in which case a MTM, with its variable amount of BSC might be the better option.
Old 11th May 2013, 01:18 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

mh-audio.nl - Vented System
http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/15w-8531k00.pdf
Old 12th May 2013, 06:27 AM   #6
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

1kHz crossover? I don't think so...

The interesting question is what are these drivers like? The bass is almost identical to the coated W15/8530K00. Actually yours is a couple of dB louder, but that's about it.

So Troels' Ellam-98 is not a million miles away with a 2.3kHz crossover:
Ellam-98

Your tweeter is about 4dB more efficient than his metal D2904/9800, so a bit of fiddling with the 5.6R input resistor might get you the 2dB you need. Say 8.2R wouldn't be unreasonable to get 2dB attenuation.

Bit rough and ready, but worth a go, I'd think.
Old 12th May 2013, 07:51 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Surround sound MT fronts and MT rears or MTM center and MT rears.
Old 12th May 2013, 12:03 PM   #8
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannoo View Post
Recently I picked up 4 scan speak 15w/8531K00 mid woofers and a pair of D63004/660000 tweeters.
I think I understand why they are sold. Good speaker design always start with the right choice of driver combo. You may need extra money to build the crossover for the tweeter, and it is not my cup of tea either.

Quote:
when I have time and money I'll build them into a propper 3-way set up
They are not suitable for 3-way.

Quote:
Also, from the fr data alone i was planning on xo at 1khz, but almost all the revelator designs seem to xo at about 1750.
Tweeters with this kind of voice coils have performance that gets exponentially worse with lower frequency. You don't want to cross it too low unless you match the tweeter with bigger woofer incapable of being crossed too high.

Quote:
I'm pretty concerned about the high efficiency of the tweeter vs the woofers, and have read online that a LCR pad is almost always needed with a 660000 rather than a standard L-pad, but I only have experience with the later?
There's really no issue with high efficiency. It's 4 ohm. And paralleled woofers will increase efficiency.

The LCR is only a consequence of crossing lower than "normal" tweeters.

Quote:
Any ideas and suggestions are welcomed, be it open baffle, sealed enclosure, ported, even TL! basically what would you do as a cheap, safe build?
(by safe I mean 'predicatable or adjustable performance' prior to building!
It's a difficult design and you seem don't have the skill to design your own so stick with a proven design suggested by others.

In your position I will build 2-way design (if proven design is available) and sell the speaker. The other woofer pairs will go with a better tweeter, and sell them also. The money will be used for a better drivers
Old 12th May 2013, 08:30 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post

They are not suitable for 3-way.
I should have been clearer, I will add either another revelator bass driver or an alternative if something more suitable presents itself, at this stage it very much looks like I'll be sticking with the revelator series (though some tang bands have really caught my eye)

Better drivers? from what I'd read online revelators were near the top of the crop, what else would you be looking at and why?

thanks to all for the responses, it's greatly appreciated!
Old 12th May 2013, 10:20 PM   #10
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I don't know about adding a bigger woofer. It could be done, but would be a considerable homework problem. Troels has a design that might be adaptable:
JAZZMAN

But more to be found in his Ellam designs for your purposes:
DIY Loudspeakers

Not many people know this...but it is very easy to convert a two way design to a series wired D'Appolito:

Quote:
Originally Posted by system7 View Post
...snip...The series wired D'Appolito has a very simple connection. You wire the two basses and two bass filters in series, along with a single tweeter and filter. The levels work out, leaving the elegant conclusion that converting a standard two-way to a series wired D'Appolito is almost trivial. Bass impedance doubles, of course.

Simplifying the resulting bass filter is then a simple exercise of halving and doubling the component values. IIRC, you halve capacitance and double inductance and resistance.

The parallel wired 4 ohm D'Appolito is altogether more complex to design.
Couple of cabinets for wherever you reside:

US 20 Litres: The Madisound Speaker Store
UK 11 Litres: Mercury cabinets

Hide this!Advertise here!