What would you do with a load of revelator drivers??? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th May 2013, 02:07 AM   #11
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannoo View Post
I should have been clearer, I will add either another revelator bass driver or an alternative if something more suitable presents itself, at this stage it very much looks like I'll be sticking with the revelator series (though some tang bands have really caught my eye)

Better drivers? from what I'd read online revelators were near the top of the crop, what else would you be looking at and why?
These are the worst of the Revelators. I guess the promise was that the tweeter can be crossed low to meet with 8531 peaky response at the mid frequency. Yes you can do it with expensive crossover but I doubt the result (I think it was a failed promise). The tweeter has high IMD distortion if I'm not mistaken.

Multi way (3-way) is about putting drivers at limited bandwidth at which they can work comfortably. 8531K and the tweeter is a combo where each driver must be stretched. To make it 3-way, a midrange is required, but very difficult to find a driver suitable for that too, and the woofer is too small (cannot go low enough) for a 3-way.

The reason to build 2 speakers from the drivers was that because imo it will generate more money that way (to fund a better project). There are always people who think that it is a Revelator so it must be good and worth the price. You may disagree tho.

Last edited by Jay; 13th May 2013 at 02:10 AM.
Old 13th May 2013, 09:00 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
The tweeter has high IMD distortion if I'm not mistaken.
I think you are, but if you have a source please let me know, all the measurement data on the 660000 I've seen (independant, not scan-speak) has shown superbly low distortion figures.

Quote:

Multi way (3-way) is about putting drivers at limited bandwidth at which they can work comfortably. 8531K and the tweeter is a combo where each driver must be stretched. To make it 3-way, a midrange is required, but very difficult to find a driver suitable for that too, and the woofer is too small (cannot go low enough) for a 3-way
As stated, the 15w would be the mid-range. I would be adding a bass to the set up, the 15w's would most likely be in seales enclosures.

Do you mind if I ask where your your opinions are from? you seem to dis-like them...

Last edited by nannoo; 13th May 2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old 13th May 2013, 11:46 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
As stated, the 15w would be the mid-range. I would be adding a bass to the set up.
Then you have to stretch the 15W and/or the tweeter. Just ask yourself, what will be the crossover frequency for this 2 drivers?

So you will add a bass driver to this combo. Then you have to think about: (1) Should Scan-Speak bass driver be used? It will be very expensive, and the speaker must live up it's price! (2) What will be the tuning frequency? You should start with measuring your listening room to find out if you need to go to 20Hz or so.

Quote:
Do you mind if I ask where your your opinions are from? you seem to dis-like them...
Okay, may be it is just me. I always try to get the best. And for me good speaker design must start with good driver choice (the drivers and the driver combo) and a thorough plan of course.

Not about like or dislike, but Scan-Speaks are very expensive for the price. They were the best at their price in the past. Nowadays, only certain models worth the price imo.
Old 13th May 2013, 04:43 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

good to know, these drivers are from a pair of YG acoustics anat II's, so there is the option of securing the bass drivers at a reasonable (still HIGH) cost.

If I could achieve the same performance for a similar price I'd defineately like to hear about it (if you want to recommend any drivers that is) for me, the tang band woofers are the one's that have really caught my 'value for money' eye.

Can't say that any of yg.a.'s engineering has impressed me at this stage, they seem to have an agenda to rip off as many as possible...
Old 13th May 2013, 05:33 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I have the Zaph ZRT 2.5 way. They sound great sealed. The crossover transfer functions for that speaker could likely be reapplied if you keep the same front baffle width but you would have to customize the actual components.

I have heard this combo in a transmission line and they sounded fantastic. I would highly recommend this option. I am considering rebuilding my sealed enclosures they were so good.
Old 13th May 2013, 06:33 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
these drivers are from a pair of YG acoustics anat II's
This must be a joke. There is no reason for such an expensive speaker to use 8531. Even 8530 is a much better option. How do you know that YGA doesn't use custom order drivers? Do they stick a sticker behind the woofer saying Scan-Speak 15W/8531K? This audio world must be full of fools

Quote:
If I could achieve the same performance for a similar price I'd defineately like to hear about it (if you want to recommend any drivers that is) for me, the tang band woofers are the one's that have really caught my 'value for money' eye.
I think it is not difficult to reconstruct the MTM with 16dB/octave at 1k75Hz. The big woofers are just acting like subwoofer.

I have never found any subwoofer that "work". It is difficult to find a matching subwoofer at 75Hz. That's a crazy engineering. And you got to have big listening room.
Old 13th May 2013, 06:38 PM   #17
gornir is offline gornir  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
These are the worst of the Revelators. I guess the promise was that the tweeter can be crossed low to meet with 8531 peaky response at the mid frequency. Yes you can do it with expensive crossover but I doubt the result (I think it was a failed promise). The tweeter has high IMD distortion if I'm not mistaken.
What peaky response do you mean?

The 15W Revelator is one of the smoothest mid-woofer I've ever measured!

Here are measurements for the 4 Ohm version of the un-coated 15W Revelator. ScanSpeak 15W/4531G00 Measurements!

Quote:
Multi way (3-way) is about putting drivers at limited bandwidth at which they can work comfortably. 8531K and the tweeter is a combo where each driver must be stretched.
Sorry, I have to disagree.

Cross them over between 2-3kHz and neither of them will be stretched at all.

These are excellent drivers to build a 2.5way or perhaps a D'appolito 2-way. If you don't think they can produce enough bass (which they can in a normal sized room), add an active sub.

Here you also have measurements for the ScanSpeak D3004/660000

Regards

/Göran
Old 13th May 2013, 07:10 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornir View Post
What peaky response do you mean?
Your measurement of the 8531G indeed looks very good. Here's different FR based on datasheet between 8531G and 8531K
Attached Images
File Type: png 15W8531.PNG (23.2 KB, 112 views)
Old 13th May 2013, 09:50 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reactivepower View Post
I have the Zaph ZRT 2.5 way. They sound great sealed. The crossover transfer functions for that speaker could likely be reapplied if you keep the same front baffle width but you would have to customize the actual components.

I have heard this combo in a transmission line and they sounded fantastic. I would highly recommend this option. I am considering rebuilding my sealed enclosures they were so good.
Could you tell me more about the transmission line design? was it a single woofer into a transmission line or two?

Transmission line would make me nervous because of the 'getting it right' factor, but the reality is it would be very easy to build an enclosure with an adjustable TL length, and that is rapidly looking like the way to go. With the ZRT being so well recieved, it's very tempting to jump on that - not least because the crossovers give me a great start, the rest would be tweeking as I'd have the 15w's wired in parallel.

How does a 2.5 way system effect overall performance? (output level, distortion mechanisms, frequency response)

whilst looking around for a 2-way MTM design i came across previously i stumbled upon this, site, anybody seen these things before? they're making some pretty bold claims...

https://www.hypexshop.com/
Old 13th May 2013, 09:53 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornir View Post
If you don't think they can produce enough bass (which they can in a normal sized room), add an active sub.

/Göran
my room is small ...
the thought of 'needing' those extra 26w's is going down by the second!

Interesting that nobody has picked up the digital crossover idea...

Hide this!Advertise here!