Final MLTL help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Buzz if your worried about the wife's acceptance of your new project proceed as follows....

Build a huge read refrigerator sized pair of boxes from cdx plywood.

When she's not home put them in the living room....

Prepare your self for the WTF is that reaction when she gets home.

Ignore this for a couple few days...

Replace monstrosities with well finished boxes of your choice.

This actually worked for me...Everything is relative.

Hi Justin,

Have a look at the submitted picture:

I found no reason to exceed a net box volume of ~269L or ~9.5 cu.ft and if you intend to use the Altec's as stands:
A tuning below 30 Hz is IMO lending to sub-optimizing if not being used in a very large room.I found our suggested maximum box-size quite adequate to stay within..

BTW: I made quite a few MJK simulation too but now only posting simpler HR simulations to ponder on.

b:)

Attachments

• Altec-416-8A_ML-TL_Rec.JPG
    Altec-416-8A_ML-TL_Rec.JPG
    904.7 KB · Views: 255
bjorno,
Couple questions:D
2,4,and 6 seem to be TL based designs. From what I have been advised, these tend to be preferred over BR laoding. Any opinions?
Being new to hornresp, why are you cutting off the upper crossover frequency. Is this a suggestion that of the differnet design limitations or was it random?
I

Hi Buzz
make sure you try these in a br cab as well sized and tuned as per gpa,s reccomendations

My gpa 212 8a started out in quite large mltl cabs designed by gm and as good as they sounded i much prefer them in smaller br cabs as per gpa,s suggestions

the narrower cab and br tuning really shows what these things can do in the midrange and bass
the cab size is much easy,er to live with and sound better imo

Sheafer

That is very interesting, as it goes against a lot of opinions. I believe Zilch said that the M19 was too large for them. I have been playing around quite a bit at the size Bjorno recommended and also slightly larger in the 12ft^3 range, all having very reasonable performance. Ill probablt cut some wood either this weekdn or next.

Here is a sim based on smaller box size. I must admit. It is a nice curve. I think I will try it.

Attachments

• Mathcad - Altec 416 - 1.jpg
    Mathcad - Altec 416 - 1.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 192
  • Mathcad - Altec 416 - 5.jpg
    Mathcad - Altec 416 - 5.jpg
    419.4 KB · Views: 181
  • Mathcad - Altec 416 - 6.jpg
    Mathcad - Altec 416 - 6.jpg
    437.3 KB · Views: 185
  • Mathcad - Altec 416 - 7.jpg
    Mathcad - Altec 416 - 7.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 173
  • Mathcad - Altec 416 - 8.jpg
    Mathcad - Altec 416 - 8.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Mathcad - Altec 416 - 9.jpg
    Mathcad - Altec 416 - 9.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 35
Another usefull trick i found was to start with a larger port(id) for higher tuning ,43 hz worked for me
and use plates with different size openings to tune your port lower bit by bit untill you arrive at the sound you are after
i always install my ports to the rear of the cabs now to allow this without affecting the front side of the speakers(looks)

I prefered a higher tuning with the mltl to give a bit more presense to the bass and not as much stuffing as the program suggested

Sheafer

Hi Buzz!

This simple design has been built all over the place with lotsá different drivers, among them
Altecs, dont know wich models.

Imo its a relly nice box that with the right type of driver presents dynamics allmost like a real horn, good lf extension and efficiency.
Stands 5 inches taller than Your objective thou.

qw5front-1.jpg

QW5sidamstag1.jpg

Thats actually what my current modeling above is specd for. It has a 5" Sl to 15" So. I was trying to design one that was downward firing, but it complicates things as far as length is concerned. Good to hear from you again Ingvar. Have you been playing with Beyma's d120 clone? Its getting a lot of clatter recently.

Last edited:
Hi!
Sorry for late answer, been a little too much work lately.

I´ve used the Beyma Liberty8, (12E120) a lot but that´s a modernized (much lower Fs and higher Qms, only 102dB sensitivity) replica of the E120, really don´t know what the differences between D and E are except Alnico/ferrite.

The Liberty8 is one of the best drivers i´ve used, very dynamic and fun to listen too, a bit "darker" than one would Think from specs, tremendous on voices.

GM,
I joke around a lot. Maybe too much. Me saying that I could do gutters better than you was a joke, since you are clearly more capable in areas like higher math and speaker design. Most folks would prefer to be capable of that, over putting in a gutter. At least I would. Truth is, you may be able to install gutters better than I. Dont know. It was just a joke. My apologies. I actually thought I pissed you off regarding a disagreement about Geddes style constant directivity horns vs Iwata, and which was better for Hifi. Goes to show you that people can see things differently. Either way, no worries on my end. Appreciate the help you gave.

Here is a link to the final design. It fits my needs very well and sims well as a side benefit. Tuning is very versatile with stuffing and vent length, affecting only LF reach and level. It can even be adjusted by height from the floor, as it is down firing port. IT is coming in at about 9.5^ft.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/91372-altec-lansing-95.html#post3535052

Jsut posting for reference. Will start cutting this week, maybe tomorrow, but doubtful.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.