Want to try OB-need suggestion for plans - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th April 2013, 04:05 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Want to try OB-need suggestion for plans

Here's what I have- A receiver, four channel 1000w amp, mini dsp, and an underfloor IB subwoofer system. I want to try OB for music listening. I would have some room challenges, but want to give it a shot. I have REW and a mic to test frequency response. Can somebody suggest pairing of a woofer and mid/tweeter and a baffle plan? Don't want to get too expensive till i experiment to make sure I want to go all the way down the rabbit hole.. thanks gents! Max price for drivers btw, 500 USD for now.
Old 28th April 2013, 04:15 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Cheap ? Goldwood ! And Zaph Audio....
Beer budget "Version" of $10,000+ Jamo Open Baffles
Old 28th April 2013, 04:58 AM   #3
mortron is offline mortron  Canada
diyAudio Member

Just built four 18" HFrames with a pair of used Visaton B200, and under $1000 with a big pro amp for bass, a chip amp and passive line level crossover.

Martin J King has some interesting projects and served as partial inspiration, but many other members have great projects that don't break the bank and are tops on fun.
Old 28th April 2013, 05:06 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

This definitely looks promising. One hang up would be that these would have to look very nice.I will do some reading then seek further advice. Thanks,
Old 28th April 2013, 02:19 PM   #5
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Have you seen my thread?
Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project

Lot's of good info there and several versions. I highly recommend these as a place to start.
Old 28th April 2013, 02:30 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Have you seen my thread?
httop://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...b-project.html

Lot's of good info there and several versions. I highly recommend these as a place to start.
Thanks Pano!
Yes, those are at the top of my lust due to the low cost and ease of construction. Pardon the nube question, as I am still learning. Could the tops of the baffles have any amount of curve to change the appearance, or would that drastically affect the sound?
Old 28th April 2013, 02:39 PM   #7
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

They could certainly be curved or slanted. In some ways that can improve the sound.

You have to be a little careful with a curve, as you don't want an edge that is equal distance to the driver - as you can imagine, that would reinforce any ripple in the response.

I've used the smallest of John's designs (the first one) in a bedroom and a hotel room. Worked just fine. John left some notes in the thread about wall distance. Remember that there is a null at each side of the baffle, so side wall distance is less important than the wall behind the baffle.
Old 28th April 2013, 03:16 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Good to know. I will read some more. I have some beautiful birds eye maple veneer that was given to me that I may use. Thanks again
Old 29th April 2013, 12:38 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Here's a kinda general OB question, not necessarily what I am going to do. Is it a possibilty to use both a PA style woofer along with a higher excursion, subwoofer on the same baffle? Or would that cause too much movement?
Old 29th April 2013, 12:54 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Brilliant idea! The woofer, due to its high power handling, could be left unfiltered ( no high pass ). But problems may arise when chosing the
mid & treble drivers, which has to be mid-hi sensitivity.

The problems with vibrations, and sound mutation induced by them, may find
the solution by suspending the drivers ( not simply hang them )
String mounted dipole

Hide this!Advertise here!