didn't get it right

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
We have an old Focal 6.5 6V3211B at 8 ohms to match with a Vifa XT19TD00-04 at 4 ohms (but both are an 89 SPL.) Anyone here able to design the crossover and what would the cost be to build the pair?
Vifa XT19TD00-04 3/4" Dual Radiator Tweeter

The Vifa XT19TD00-04 features a patented dual concentric diaphragm and a unique waveguide center plug that provide an excellent on-and off-axis response. This tweeter is acclaimed for its very natural sound with an extremely smooth frequency response extending well beyond the human hearing range. The dual chamber design and absence of ferrofluid results in a low resonance frequency.
Specifications: • Power handling: 90 watts RMS/140 watts max • VCdia: 3/4" • Impedance: 4 ohms • Re: 2.9 ohms • Frequency response: 1,500-40,000 Hz • Fs: 681.9 Hz • SPL: 89 dB 2.83V/1m • Dimensions: Overall diameter: 3.70", Cutout diameter: 2.70", Depth: 1.08".
and the Focal.. View attachment 6V3211B Focal Woofer.pdf
Thanks in advance

Hi, pick any assembled crossover for car audio - They're for 4Ω speakers
You'll have to increase the inductance for the woofer, thou...

Edit: I don't know that tweeter, but reading 'No ferrofluid' means that a minimum
power conservative cut above 2 KHz with a 2nd order slope should be chosen

Last edited:
....thinking Bessel

I'm thinking butterworth, as below but I've really no idea what the levels will be. 15 litre closed box for sure though and you'll need to deal with fibreglass cone breakup....:D

Troels has done a few designs for the similar XT25 tweeter.
Peerless projects

He puts a resistor in series and uses third order to protect the undamped tweeter Fs. :cool:

Attachments

• Vifa_XT19_6InchBass.PNG
    Vifa_XT19_6InchBass.PNG
    7.4 KB · Views: 475
I forgot to mention that I've used the XT19 in two designs and it's a great tweeter, performing above its pay grade, actually.
Paul

thanks pkitt; maybe he is thinking of something else in South Africa or doesn't realize his mistake, oh well....

I'll post a pic of the Vifa part of the crossover tomorrow, but the Focal I'm having trouble with as I try to match these up....thinking Bessel

Every single speaker manufacturer has successfully designed and produced speaker systems for years that use drivers having different impedances. In fact, its almost impossible not to do so, especially when paralleling drivers, like for the midwoofers in an MTM or when using a pair of woofers in a 3-way. Also, many, many tweeters are inherently 6-ohm drivers, while midranges and woofers are either 4-ohm or 8-ohm, or somewhere in between. Really, you're either fooling yourself if you believe what you're saying, or you must think the rest of the world is very gullible to give any credence to what you say, no matter how many years you've been doing that. Or, you're just a troll.
Paul

I have been designing crossovers and writing books on the subject for 20 years, show me one source that says you can.

System7, is that a 3d order Butterworth? How well would it match up with the older Focal in your opinion? ..... What I've been show is a 16 res connecting + and - : then a 1 ohm res on the + : next a .5mh between + & - : and finally a 15uf on the + line. What program did you use? What's your home audio equipment and speakers?.. my XO may be wrong so I'll have it checked again. Thank you for your time and effort..

pkitt, I agree with you, (I like the clean and open sound, imo.) What did your XO look like? Do you have any pics? What is your home system of equipment...thanks

For the two designs that used the XT19 tweeters, both were 3-ways that used a 2" dome midrange, one an MDM55 and the other an RS52A. I no longer have either of those pairs of speakers. My electronics consist of a Linn Wakonda preamp, Linn Ikemi CDP and Quad 909 power amp, and I also have an HD Radio tuner for local classical music on FM. I generally only build 3-way speakers but my current speakers are 2-ways using an 8-inch, RS225-8 with an RS28F tweeter, called the RS duets, with the cabinet being a mass-loaded TL. I've attached a photo of the RS duets which won first place in their category at last year's MWAF.
Paul

System7, is that a 3d order Butterworth? How well would it match up with the older Focal in your opinion? ..... What I've been show is a 16 res connecting + and - : then a 1 ohm res on the + : next a .5mh between + & - : and finally a 15uf on the + line. What program did you use? What's your home audio equipment and speakers?.. my XO may be wrong so I'll have it checked again. Thank you for your time and effort..

pkitt, I agree with you, (I like the clean and open sound, imo.) What did your XO look like? Do you have any pics? What is your home system of equipment...thanks

Attachments

• Cabinet front without grille.jpg
    Cabinet front without grille.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 222
audio4him, those parameters you included are flippin' useless to design a crossover. :D

Says something about the suitable 15L closed box, but that's about it...:rolleyes:

I am entirely following my intuition here and a frequency response from Monacor for the similar SPH-165CP.

On second thoughts, a standard sort of 3kHz bass filter is indicated for the extended response of a Glass Fibre cone. I really have no idea about tweeter level, and the second tweeter capacitor of 10uF would be better if the tweeter is less efficient than I guessed and the input resistor is smaller than 6 ohms. It's just how filters work. And this is diyaudio, after all.

The 6kHz tank across the bass coil might straighten out the phase a lot on a flat baffle. But I'd think this is all doable with some fiddling on resistors. The bass filter won't be a million miles away from where you want to be. Listening will determine the tweeter filter details. Best I can do in such a vague situation. 2nd order bass, 3rd order tweeter should work well.

Attachments

• Vifa_XT19_GFBass.PNG
    Vifa_XT19_GFBass.PNG
    8 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
system7 Thanks for trying the impossible to get this given the information you had from this post. I did call the representative here at Focal and he stated there were no more spec sheets. I will go on line and check a few other sites and see if there is any luck. I am not sure if you meant there was also limited information from Vifa, but I will also give a call out and hopefully rectify this situation. Thank you again for your time and effort and I appreciate your help.
I see this morning was rather chilly for you and it looks like a windy week is up and coming. All the best to you and yours.....Danny

pkitt: really great equipment by the way, what's your favorite musical styles?

Thanks, I just recently had my Ikemi "tuned up" and hope to get another 6-7 years of use out of it because I love it. I listen primarily to instrumental symphonic music with a bit of jazz (small ensemble and big band) thrown in. I have only a few CDs with vocal artists.
Paul

system7 Thanks for trying the impossible to get this given the information you had from this post. I did call the representative here at Focal and he stated there were no more spec sheets. I will go on line and check a few other sites and see if there is any luck. I am not sure if you meant there was also limited information from Vifa, but I will also give a call out and hopefully rectify this situation. Thank you again for your time and effort and I appreciate your help.
I see this morning was rather chilly for you and it looks like a windy week is up and coming. All the best to you and yours.....Danny

pkitt: really great equipment by the way, what's your favorite musical styles?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.