didn't get it right - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th April 2013, 07:40 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

System7, is that a 3d order Butterworth? How well would it match up with the older Focal in your opinion? ..... What I've been show is a 16 res connecting + and - : then a 1 ohm res on the + : next a .5mh between + & - : and finally a 15uf on the + line. What program did you use? What's your home audio equipment and speakers?.. my XO may be wrong so I'll have it checked again. Thank you for your time and effort..

pkitt, I agree with you, (I like the clean and open sound, imo.) What did your XO look like? Do you have any pics? What is your home system of equipment...thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 08:16 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

System7, or anyone; the spec sheet for the Focal is in #1 post and my problem is trying to use this, to make the crossover, anyone with WINpcd or other updated program? thanks in advance...
Old 29th April 2013, 01:55 PM   #13
pkitt is offline pkitt  United States
diyAudio Member

For the two designs that used the XT19 tweeters, both were 3-ways that used a 2" dome midrange, one an MDM55 and the other an RS52A. I no longer have either of those pairs of speakers. My electronics consist of a Linn Wakonda preamp, Linn Ikemi CDP and Quad 909 power amp, and I also have an HD Radio tuner for local classical music on FM. I generally only build 3-way speakers but my current speakers are 2-ways using an 8-inch, RS225-8 with an RS28F tweeter, called the RS duets, with the cabinet being a mass-loaded TL. I've attached a photo of the RS duets which won first place in their category at last year's MWAF.
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4him View Post
System7, is that a 3d order Butterworth? How well would it match up with the older Focal in your opinion? ..... What I've been show is a 16 res connecting + and - : then a 1 ohm res on the + : next a .5mh between + & - : and finally a 15uf on the + line. What program did you use? What's your home audio equipment and speakers?.. my XO may be wrong so I'll have it checked again. Thank you for your time and effort..

pkitt, I agree with you, (I like the clean and open sound, imo.) What did your XO look like? Do you have any pics? What is your home system of equipment...thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cabinet front without grille.jpg (24.0 KB, 176 views)
Old 29th April 2013, 05:43 PM   #14
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

audio4him, those parameters you included are flippin' useless to design a crossover.

Says something about the suitable 15L closed box, but that's about it...

I am entirely following my intuition here and a frequency response from Monacor for the similar SPH-165CP.

On second thoughts, a standard sort of 3kHz bass filter is indicated for the extended response of a Glass Fibre cone. I really have no idea about tweeter level, and the second tweeter capacitor of 10uF would be better if the tweeter is less efficient than I guessed and the input resistor is smaller than 6 ohms. It's just how filters work. And this is diyaudio, after all.

The 6kHz tank across the bass coil might straighten out the phase a lot on a flat baffle. But I'd think this is all doable with some fiddling on resistors. The bass filter won't be a million miles away from where you want to be. Listening will determine the tweeter filter details. Best I can do in such a vague situation. 2nd order bass, 3rd order tweeter should work well.
Attached Images
File Type: png Vifa_XT19_GFBass.PNG (8.0 KB, 158 views)

Last edited by system7; 29th April 2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old 29th April 2013, 09:34 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by balerit View Post
I have been designing crossovers and writing books on the subject for 20 years, show me one source that says you can.
That's interesting - an appeal to one's own authority...
Old 30th April 2013, 07:25 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

system7 Thanks for trying the impossible to get this given the information you had from this post. I did call the representative here at Focal and he stated there were no more spec sheets. I will go on line and check a few other sites and see if there is any luck. I am not sure if you meant there was also limited information from Vifa, but I will also give a call out and hopefully rectify this situation. Thank you again for your time and effort and I appreciate your help.
I see this morning was rather chilly for you and it looks like a windy week is up and coming. All the best to you and yours.....Danny

pkitt: really great equipment by the way, what's your favorite musical styles?
Old 30th April 2013, 01:57 PM   #17
pkitt is offline pkitt  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks, I just recently had my Ikemi "tuned up" and hope to get another 6-7 years of use out of it because I love it. I listen primarily to instrumental symphonic music with a bit of jazz (small ensemble and big band) thrown in. I have only a few CDs with vocal artists.
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4him View Post
system7 Thanks for trying the impossible to get this given the information you had from this post. I did call the representative here at Focal and he stated there were no more spec sheets. I will go on line and check a few other sites and see if there is any luck. I am not sure if you meant there was also limited information from Vifa, but I will also give a call out and hopefully rectify this situation. Thank you again for your time and effort and I appreciate your help.
I see this morning was rather chilly for you and it looks like a windy week is up and coming. All the best to you and yours.....Danny

pkitt: really great equipment by the way, what's your favorite musical styles?
Old 30th April 2013, 06:45 PM   #18
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454Casull View Post
That's interesting - an appeal to one's own authority...
Appears to have been trolling- post nonsense then disappear quickly
Old 30th April 2013, 09:39 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

system7:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf vifa_xt19td00_04 spec sheet.pdf (57.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: pdf 6V3211B Focal Woofer.pdf (28.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 30th April 2013, 09:42 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

system7, these are the best I can get; presently, or until someone has any additional information. Is there any improvement with this information? thanks again

Hide this!Advertise here!