Need Help Deciding what speakers to purchase...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I really need some opinions!

I'm a huge B&W fan, I owned several pairs of their recent 600 series, from bookshelves to floorstanders, some of their subs including the PV1, the CM series, and even the zeppelin.

Due to financial reasons I had to sell all of it, but I badly miss my B&W CM1 bookshelf speakers and find myself wanting to get them back. However, it's shocking how much they're selling for now...I just saw a used pair go on ebay for $976!!! That's ludicrous when their retail price was just $24 more! CM1's were selling for about $700-800 when I sold mine. I also know that the new series are made in China and I want a pair of the Made In England versions.

However, my dilemma is I live in an apartment and am thinking that maybe even the CM1's are a bit too much. There really isn't space for them in an area I could listen to them frequently unless they were at my computer. Having the CM1's so close may prove unpleasant, however. (thoughts on this?) As such I was considering the B&W MM1's. Quite a far cry away, but it would still offer that B&W sound I'm craving. But then I have heard the Zeppelin and I hated it! The thing was overly bright and it seemed like I'd blow its tiny speakers if I tried cranking it up a bit. I'm wondering if the MM1's are anything like the Zeppelin.

I have a nice tube amp that would give the CM1 speakers more than enough power and made them sound completely gorgeous, so amping isn't a problem. Just can't decide if I'd rather get the CM1's, the MM1's, or maybe something else from B&W? I do have a limited budget, and really don't want to spend more than $700-800. I'm also totally okay if the speakers are used, even scuffed, nicked etc. It's all about the sound. :)

Suggestions?

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
In case you may be wondering about the paucity of replies to your thread.... This is a diy forum. You may want to rephrase your question as what speakers should I build that will sound better than the B&W CM1's or whatever, for a fraction of the cost? We don't pay anything close to retail for speakers that will in many cases sound better than anything you can buy from a store. Also, aren't B&W's multiway speakers? This is the single driver full range forum.

GM

Joined 2003
However, my dilemma is I live in an apartment and am thinking that maybe even the CM1's are a bit too much. There really isn't space for them in an area I could listen to them frequently unless they were at my computer. Having the CM1's so close may prove unpleasant, however. (thoughts on this?)

I have a nice tube amp that would give the CM1 speakers more than enough power and made them sound completely gorgeous, so amping isn't a problem. Just can't decide if I'd rather get the CM1's, the MM1's, or maybe something else from B&W?

It’s all a matter of scale, so the closer one listens, the smaller the driver, baffle width and the vertical distance between drivers ideally required until finally all that’s left is a single ‘full-range’ driver/speaker.

For a near-field [~ < 1m/40”] app then, best overall to have a Sat/sub system.

Anyway, this entire site is devoted to DIY and with no clue as to what would be required to tonally clone the B&W, much less one for a near-field app; I recommend researching/posing your Qs on a B&W forum such as this one or similar: B&W Owner's Thread

GM

In case you may be wondering about the paucity of replies to your thread.... This is a diy forum. You may want to rephrase your question as what speakers should I build that will sound better than the B&W CM1's or whatever, for a fraction of the cost? We don't pay anything close to retail for speakers that will in many cases sound better than anything you can buy from a store. Also, aren't B&W's multiway speakers? This is the single driver full range forum.

Oh no, I figured as much. The problem is, finding active speaker forums is difficult, and many here have heard the speakers I'm describing, or so I had hoped (how else would you compare your DIY projects if you never listened to what could be purchased at a store?). The full range forum seemed the best place to post my question and I would have been perfectly content with no response. Just wondering if anyone here had the knowledge I was seeking.

Also, I wouldn't bash on B&W speakers too much--they hold their value remarkably well. I've purchased their equipment, held onto it for years, and usually would turn around profit or break even when letting it go. I don't pay anything close to retail either for speakers since consumer electronics can hardly be considered an investment. However, it was rare I ever lost money on B&W speakers. Not sure the same can be said for DIY applications since there really isn't much resale value on them; such systems mostly appeal to enthusiasts. Though I do know typically they're built to last a lifetime. I have no disrespect whatsoever for the DIY crowd as I've DIY'd many audio applications myself, including building my own amplifier. There's certainly the reward of building something that you personally think sounds great. But I'm not of the disposition that DIY is the only way, or even that it's always the cheaper thing to do. I guess I shouldn't be surprised by such a response since this is a forum "by fanatics, for fanatics." :) In either case, I hope you're enjoying your projects and best of luck with them.

Thanks so much for the link, GM!

I suggest you give a simple budget DIY kit a try, you might be amazed at the quality you get when all of the marketing hyperbole is removed from the equation, and the only thing remaining is the raw performance

The Madisound Speaker Store
(Note that this is the tweeter PSB uses in all of their high end speakers. The woofers are also extremely high performance.)

Anyway, there are actual retail speaker forums out there.

Speakers

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.