Seas Excel W22's in open baffle, need more midbass "oomph" - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd April 2013, 10:49 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Seas Excel W22's in open baffle, need more midbass "oomph"

I've been experimenting with open baffle for quite some time now, first with two Seas Excel W22's mated with a Vifa XT25 tweeter per channel. Midrange was severely lacking so I added a Seas Excel W15CY per side to play 300hz-2250hz. Now it sounds incredible but I am seriously lacking in the midbass region. The W22's play 120hz-300hz while six Acoustic Elegance OB15's play everything below 120hz. I have experimented with going as high as 150hz with the AE 15's and may just try crossing over at 300hz to cut out the W22's all together. But I would like to avoid this, I have a soft spot for the W22's Is anyone boosting the lower end of the W22's with eq to compensate for the missing midbass?

I have read Linkwitz' Orion build documentation and I do not remember him doing anything special with the W22 low end, though it has been about a year since I've reviewed those notes. I was also thinking about sealing them to help with output. I have been playing around with REW and my MiniDSP but it does not really show any deficit in the W22's coverage, perhaps I need to look for more REW tutorials or my hearing is skewed. Would love to hear the ramblings of my fellow DIY'ers who have used W22 Excels in an open baffle. Thanks!
Old 23rd April 2013, 01:35 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

That's almost similar build to mine (see blog below). I cross the W22 at 100hz LR4. No problems and I can play loud enough to have the neighbours complain.

Not sure how loud you play !
Old 23rd April 2013, 05:27 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hey glad you stopped by, I am a huge fan of your site! I actually got the Monacor waveguide idea from you. Do you prefer the SEAS DXT over the XT25/WG300?
Old 23rd April 2013, 08:00 AM   #4
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

Hello architect,

in my AINO dipoe project I noticed that the output of 12" beyma dips very rapidly below 150Hz (frameless dipole). I tried to eq the low end (the driver can do that easily) but because the crossover slopes have "legs" this is not enough! I ended up with xo at 300Hz,then slopes are "normal" and the sound is a lot better.
Attached Images
File Type: png ainoproto v9 30¤ all indiv 6ms 90db.png (85.8 KB, 327 views)
AES Associate Member / My DIY speaker history: -74 Philips 3-way, -82 Hifi 85B, -07 Zaph L18, XLS10+PR/Hypex, -08 CSS125FR, -08 Hifitalo AW-7, -08 TangBand FR, -09 MarkK ER18DXT, -13 PPSL470, -13 AINOgradient
Old 23rd April 2013, 08:49 AM   #5
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

Oh yes, I was speaking of acoustical, measured slopes!
AES Associate Member / My DIY speaker history: -74 Philips 3-way, -82 Hifi 85B, -07 Zaph L18, XLS10+PR/Hypex, -08 CSS125FR, -08 Hifitalo AW-7, -08 TangBand FR, -09 MarkK ER18DXT, -13 PPSL470, -13 AINOgradient
Old 23rd April 2013, 10:31 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

What are your baffle dimensions for the W22 ?
Old 23rd April 2013, 08:26 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhazi View Post
Hello architect,

in my AINO dipoe project I noticed that the output of 12" beyma dips very rapidly below 150Hz (frameless dipole). I tried to eq the low end (the driver can do that easily) but because the crossover slopes have "legs" this is not enough! I ended up with xo at 300Hz,then slopes are "normal" and the sound is a lot better.
Thanks for the reply, what slope are you using? I'm using 48db/octave with my miniDSP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StigErik View Post
What are your baffle dimensions for the W22 ?
10" wide, here is a pic for reference:
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 23rd April 2013, 11:56 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect7 View Post
Hey glad you stopped by, I am a huge fan of your site! I actually got the Monacor waveguide idea from you. Do you prefer the SEAS DXT over the XT25/WG300?
Thanks

Yes I prefer the DXT, but much of it is because subjectively I like metal domes. The DXT has no phase shield and a waveguide as bonus !

XT25 do sound sublime in the higher frequencies, but it (and other textile dome tweeters) can't match the resolution of DXT (e.g cymbal sounds). But as you know metal domes can sound a bit harsh given the "correct" material.
Old 23rd April 2013, 11:59 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect7 View Post
Thanks for the reply, what slope are you using? I'm using 48db/octave with my miniDSP.

10" wide, here is a pic for reference:
Click the image to open in full size.

Very imposing, no wonder you're complaining about the 8" output
Old 24th April 2013, 01:15 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Open Baffle 8 inch Seas

Hi Architect,

Congratulations, nice system!

I also really like the 8 inch Seas Excel W22 driver in open baffle.
I got great results with a Variable Path Length ( sadly VPL !) which added slam, depth, texture, detail, extension....You name it if its good you got it with the extended side cheeks with " Shark Bites" taken out of them.

Basically you get all of the advantages of an extended rear H frame with none of the disadvantages ie all tghe good stuff above without any cuppy male vocals and muddy bass.
The " Angels " pictured in Acrylic and Corian were only 365mm wide but the 500mm to 220mm variable depth gave an average effective baffle width of nearly 1 meter. They went all the way down to 34 Hz, flat, and sounded really great.
The last pic was a Volt 2500.4 in a small VPL baffle, from 100Hz to 500 Hz...Wow!

Hope this helps and all the best
Derek.

PS Just a suggestion, how about 4 W22 per side in a VPL open baffle and crossover at 50Hz to your big AE drivers...You might even find you dont need the big AE drivers anymore and can sell them, pocket some cash and save space in your room? Just a thought!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2006_0923Image0156.jpg (558.6 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg Acrylic Angel 2006.jpg (97.3 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg 2007_0702Image0032.jpg (592.4 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg May 2008 025.jpg (445.5 KB, 77 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!