Fake ScanSpeak speaker from china? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd April 2013, 12:07 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Fake ScanSpeak speaker from china?

Are these fake? Price seems way to low...

Ebay
Old 22nd April 2013, 12:27 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I think they are. The seller claims these are OEM made for some audio company ( as far as I can understand what he says on the advert ).
Cons:
Basket is different, the SS18 I have come with rounded eliptical chassis support bars, the terminals are gold plated, wider and different looking, cap is made of pressed paper with a "square" pattern, if you know what I mean, like the Veravox 5s cones, this one seems the same as the cone material. Side of the basket seems a bit rougher, the original speaker has the orange peel look but is much smoother and invisible even on high-res photos. There seems to be a consistency difference between the two pictured drivers - observe the cone slits and their relative distance to the cap, the one on the left seems to have larger spacing. The Impedance plot is not the one for a Revelator and indicates high voice coil inductane and no copper rings in the motor. FR of original Revelators has a bump at around 3Khz, these seem to be flat ( no info on how they`re measured, this is not a Scanspeak measurement ). See the solder on the terminals` bottoms, it is like on a crappy $5 chinese speaker.
Pros:
Cone looks like the original uncoated version, even if the black glue stripes usually shine more. Spider looks like the original one, magnet assembly too. Nut holes and cone slicing placement are like the original Revelator.

My 2c: I think this is either another bloody fake from Asia or it`s been custom made by Scanspeak to cut pricing following a request by the buyer ( I doubt it ).

http://audiodrivers.eu/prest/24-124-...-revelator.jpg

Last edited by Mario Pankov; 22nd April 2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 22nd April 2013, 12:29 PM   #3
fpitas is offline fpitas  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maartentje View Post
Are these fake? Price seems way to low...

Ebay
I wouldn't call them "fake"; they admit they're a knock-off. Might still be a good buy, not many speakers can faithfully reproduce mindbass ;-)

Last edited by fpitas; 22nd April 2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 22nd April 2013, 02:05 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

sells tweeters as well.

2pcs Pair HiEnd Tweeter Compare Favourably with Scanspeaker D2905 9300 Vifa Seas | eBay
Old 22nd April 2013, 02:12 PM   #5
TMM is offline TMM  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to TMM
Could be made from surplus oem parts that are made for ss in china -i.e. cone is genuine but frame/motor is not.

Fwiw the tweeter dome does look identical to the usher 99 series as they claim
Old 22nd April 2013, 03:37 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

After DST (together with ScanSpeak) was bought by Tymphany, and the production was partially moved to China, a few OEM customers of DST thought "why should I pay european prices for a chinese product" and contacted asian suppliers to build their own drivers. Of course these drivers had to look exactly like the original ScanSpeaks to fit in their current designs. I don't know if they're comparable in quality.
Old 22nd April 2013, 04:07 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Do not have any illusions regarding what is "original", and what is fake or OEM, you name it.... I'VE BEEN in the factory in China where they make a "Famous Brand's" tweeters, for the company in the morning, then the OEM version in the evening shift for whoever buying them. The only -I mean the only - difference is the sticker they put on it..... I know, because I tested both the original , and the OEM version. Almost all big name brands source their drivers from China. That is the (sad?) truth.

Last edited by dragonweed; 22nd April 2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 22nd April 2013, 04:28 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

If any doubts, take a look....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image004.jpg (149.1 KB, 495 views)
File Type: jpg image003.jpg (253.1 KB, 482 views)
File Type: jpg image002.jpg (183.1 KB, 471 views)
File Type: jpg image001.jpg (136.2 KB, 468 views)
Old 22nd April 2013, 06:43 PM   #9
d2905 is offline d2905  Hungary
diyAudio Member

dragonweed: maybe you are right, but please take a look at the impedance plot of the tweeter linked by perempe20 and you'll see that the fs is around 800Hz instead of the original SS tweeter's 650Hz. In addition, it has a slight double-peaks characteristics like in case of the 9500 but not the 9300 - and a lower overall sensitivity.
So I'm quite sure that in this case this tweeter isn't an "evening shift" version of the original SS driver. Of course, irrespectively of this difference, it can be a great tweeter.
Old 22nd April 2013, 07:12 PM   #10
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

visible parts look 'original'
and they probably are
I guess they just buy the parts from OEM supplier

but parts we cannot judge so easily, like the complete magnet assembly, could be lower quality

btw, there have been a cheaper chinese Vifa ringradiator for years

Hide this!Advertise here!