overnight sensation - very bassy - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th April 2013, 12:24 AM   #1
Markgm is offline Markgm  United States
diyAudio Member

Default overnight sensation - very bassy

Hi,
I have just put together my first kit speakers - the Overnight Sensations, as sold by Parts Express. I haven't yet screwed the drivers or port tubes in, but held in place with gorilla tape. I've made a couple of observations of the sound.

When I first built the crossovers, I put the drivers in the baffles and hooked up. I liked the tweet, mids and bass balance not too bad, but certainly lacking in low frequency extension.

Then I put the cabinets together. There came to be a lot of bass. I am missing the mids, particularly, and even treble, and this is more bass than I would like to have.
(Will screwing drivers and port tubes down noticeably affect this?)

Can I add stuffing, or seal the ports, or what can I do to tame this?

TIA-
Mark
Old 20th April 2013, 12:37 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Get a stereo pair up and running with them placed properly within the room. If your testing has currently been done with them laying on the floor, then this would place more emphasis on the bass than with the speakers up on stands and free of any nearby walls.
Old 20th April 2013, 01:31 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Holy cow, bat farmer! I guess I wasn't treating these as I would speakers with full-range production. I started out with them sitting on the table. Now I have them on 15" stands on the table. This is much better. It seems they need it, as if they were bigger speakers.

Thank you, 5th Element, that is much better. I am still curious as to what effect stuffing has - my next experiment.
Old 20th April 2013, 03:33 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Stuffing will increase the volume 'seen' by the enclosure and for the most part produce more low freq content. The nice thing about DIY is the learning part. Add some stuffing and evaluate the sound just be sure there's none between the midwoofer and the port inlet.
Old 20th April 2013, 07:06 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi, Mayhem... You know, even with stands set up, I find this to be a bass-heavy speaker. I am wondering what I can do to mitigate against that. Maybe no stuffing at all? Maybe no port?
Old 20th April 2013, 12:39 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I think it's likely your sensitivity to bass.

Most people don't consider a small cab 4" driver to be "bass heavy".

Also not a comment typically heard about the OS.

Neverless, if you think they're bass heavy, then they are.

Less stuffing = more bass not less. Also stuffing should be no more than fluffed handful of polyfill.
Old 20th April 2013, 01:15 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

According to the website these are a full baffle-step compensation design. This means that for the best bass balance you should have them up on stands and free from any nearby walls, say at least 50cm away.

Baffle step compensation is used to correct for a gradual transition whereby you lose forward radiating sound pressure in the lower frequencies. This is a function of the cabinets smallest forward facing dimension, usually the width. As the width increases, when the transition occurs, decreases in frequency. Placing the speakers on a table effectively increases the cabinet width to that of the tables smallest dimension and as a result it pushes the BS frequency right down. Moving the speakers away from the table will reduce this effect, but any close proximity to walls or similar surfaces will have some effect on enhancing the lower frequencies.

I wouldn't expect stuffing to have too much of an impact on this, but if the port is augmenting the BS losses towards the end of the transition, then placing a little stuffing in the port might be a good idea.
Old 20th April 2013, 02:15 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbike1 View Post
Most people don't consider a small cab 4" driver to be "bass heavy".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markgm View Post
There came to be a lot of bass. I am missing the mids, particularly, and even treble, and this is more bass than I would like to have.
You may want to check the crossover wiring. If the tweeter components are wrongly terminated, it could lead to loss of mids and highs.
Old 20th April 2013, 02:23 PM   #9
blue934 is offline blue934  Canada
diyAudio Member

+1 to 5TH's suggestions of placement and trying a stuffed port.
I have built several of these and they have a tad of a laid back top end. I you are used to a brighter sound you could adjust the tweeter L-pad. Try reducing R1 to ~4ohms.
IIRC, I ended up with a small handfull lightly stuffed behind the woofer.

David
Old 20th April 2013, 06:27 PM   #10
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

Making the port a bit longer might help. Just use a rolled up piece of stiff paper formed into a tube and slip it into the port to extend it. You can also put a sock in the port to plug it to see what that does.

Hide this!Advertise here!