Parallel capacitors placement on crossover - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th April 2013, 05:18 PM   #1
soniky is offline soniky  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Parallel capacitors placement on crossover

I am about to replace old electrolytic capacitors on a crossover. One of them is 500uF which I plan to replace it with 15x 33uF film capacitors. I've read many discussions about single vs. multiple capacitors in parallel and some mentioned that using parallel capacitors may create a resonance issue at certain frequencies.

There are two questions I have that I am not able to find clear answers and would appreciate some help here. (fyi, I chose not to use a small film cap to bypass the large electrolytic.)

1) should I use a different combination of the capacitors? I can go for a 1x 100uF + 12x 33uF combination, but going lower (such as 25 x 20uF) would be cost prohibitive.

2) how should I physically mount those capacitors? I mean should I keep them apart from each other as possible, or tightly glued them together in some way?

Thanks!
Old 18th April 2013, 05:35 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

If no particular reason, stick to the original xover design...
500uF 100V Non-Polarized Capacitor 027-378
Old 18th April 2013, 06:11 PM   #3
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Is that for band pass filter? In crossover I always use paralleled capacitors because precision is more important in my speakers than trying to use standard values.

No problem at all...
Old 18th April 2013, 07:49 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Yes, it's for a band filter of a woofer section. I want to replace the electrolytic, not replacing it with another electrolytic.
Old 19th April 2013, 03:42 AM   #5
dlp4341 is offline dlp4341  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Paralleling Caps

When building a XO , I try to get as close as I can to the design values. This means paralleling Caps.
Eg: I needed a 7.27 uF so I combined 6.8 + 0.47 uf . One thing I was concerned about was crosstalk cap to cap when they are touching. To minimize this I connect the outside foil ends together and to ground if possible. This sounds like over kill, but its free , and who knows .

See my web site.
Don

www.donpatten.com
Old 19th April 2013, 06:24 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Don, thanks for your sharing of my concerns. Your point about +/- orientation of the caps matches what auricap and kimble recommend.

I still don't know if I should keep those caps closely together or far apart. There are many parallel caps discussions in this forum on PSU, but not crossovers.
Old 20th April 2013, 06:09 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Let's say I won't hear a difference, no one even has a theory in mind?

Hide this!Advertise here!