Frequency response combiner help - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th April 2013, 09:37 PM   #11
satx is offline satx  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks
I'm just trying to learn the tools. I am trying to create the combined response files to take into a crossover design program like Passive crossover designer or speaker workshop.

Is it creating the same abbreviated response for you? Is that normal?
Old 19th April 2013, 09:53 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I'm not seeing what you're seeing. I don't use this program much because I just take take measurements straight to PCD, but it seems to be working fine. Let's see if we're doing the same steps. After starting the spreadsheet, I clicked the execute buttons to load the five frd files. Then, I clicked to go to the normalizer, changed the end frequency to 20kHz, and clicked to extend the slopes of all the plots. After that, everything seems to work as it should.
Old 19th April 2013, 09:58 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Yes, the steps sound the same. I set start frequency to 20Hz and end to 40kHz. When I normalize it seems fine, but when I combine that's when it shortens the frequency response. Did you see the pdfs I attached? It shows what I'm seeing in FRC.
Old 19th April 2013, 10:00 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Actually when I hit execute under Driver Base when normalizing is when the frequency response is shortened.
Old 19th April 2013, 10:49 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx View Post
Actually when I hit execute under Driver Base when normalizing is when the frequency response is shortened.
That's not happening to me. I just left it on "extend top slope" and "extend bottom slope" and hit execute. Didn't enter any extension parameters - just start and end frequency in red.
Old 19th April 2013, 10:56 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Hmm. In the Frd Consortium tutorial, it says to enter sample number, start and end frequency. That's what I did. There is a block of cells that say "Register Number 1 has Same Start Freq - Extending End Freq". Could this be an error?

I'll try starting it over and entering your parameters

Do you leave all of them on extend top/bottom slope? The tutorial says to set Baffle Measure and Target to "Select top value, Select low value"
Old 19th April 2013, 11:03 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I'm sorry I made a mistake. The tutorial says to set baffe to extend top/low value.
Also, I just noticed that if I alter the number of samples them the frequency response is shortened or broadened. If I set it to 100 instead of 200, it looks about right.
Old 19th April 2013, 11:13 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Hmm, I left the samples on the default 1176... messing with it is not giving me any errors though.

Last edited by dumptruck; 19th April 2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old 19th April 2013, 11:35 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Default samples on mine is around 1900. Messing with it does not give me errors either.
Would you mind taking a look at a pdf of what I'm getting when it's all combined and tell me if it looks right? Doesn't seem right to me, but I don't really know... phase and impedance really don't look right.

Sorry the formatting is all screwy
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FRCbeta01.pdf (74.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 20th April 2013, 06:49 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

You're not going to be able to get very accurate phase out of a traced response file, but no, I don't see anything that looks right there. It's just your traced response, tilted down by combining with those two box lines, which somehow you've turned into straight lines. How did that happen? I expected to be helping you with messed up frd files here, rather than with using FRC which I don't actually know much about. On the other hand, it doesn't seem like anything odd is happening on my end. Can you point me at the tutorial you are trying to follow?

Hide this!Advertise here!