What oh what to build???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm banging my against a wall trying to decide what speakers to build. I need a set for 2-channel only. I've built HT speakers and I'm comfy with MDF, veneer and soldering.

I'm interested in a kit unless someone here has something they're willing to share. I've considered everything from the Thor T-Line to Ellis 1801B to designs by Dennis Murphy. I'm now considering the new FXT from Selah Audio www.selahaudio.com which uses the new Fountek ribbon and Vifa XT. I'd like to keep the total cost under $1k.

We'll be listening to a variety of music with the exception of hiphop/rap. Our daughter plays viola, so we'll be listening to a lot of strings. Power will come from a 130wpc Class A. Tubes could definitely be a future project.

Any thoughts?

GM

Joined 2003
If tube amps are in the future, then you'll need something very efficient and highly damped, so horns or at least HE drivers in low Q cab designs, such as the better Pi speaker kits, is what you need to be scoping out IMO.

While I like the Jordan, even backloaded it's just not efficient enough to 'sing' with low power, and when pushed with higher power, it gets congested real quick.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.