Well documented speaker projects/kits

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Umm after I finish school this time next year I probably want to make myself some nice sounding speakers. Budget is anywhere around $1300AU ($900US). I will not be making my own design as Im no audio engineer. I want to be directly copying from renowned projects/kits.

Criteria would be:

a 2 way
Very well documented, time proven design
woofer(s) should be 6.5". Or can be 5" MTM.
The most accurate sound within the budget.
Im looking at high-end offerings from Focal, SS,etc being used.
I can do much better with that amount of money than Vifa, Dayton, etc.

RIght now Im looking at the ProAc Response 2.5 Clones. However I think I might do a little better.

What about copying the many kits from Zalytron? Are they proven? They do use very good drivers and components.

Theres an aussie distributor for exotic offerings from cabasse, accuton,etc. I might want to use these but there are no well reviewed projects on them I can find.

any suggestions?

Any decent speaker can please me as Im used to listening to second hand hi-fi bought from garage sales. :angel: Thus I have no particular taste when it comes to speakers. (I admit I would prefer speakers with decent bass)

Ever heard of an australian company called VAF research,
they sell really good kitsVAF

they sell them with a variety of options, the one i would recomend is the DC-X, its a 2way floorstander with dual 8" woofers in an MTM configuration, it uses Audax drivers. they sound amazingly open and have huge power and grace. they go very very low and are very transperant.

you can get them with or without cabinets, constucted or not, and with or without upgraded wiring, and of course in a variety of finishes, without boxes they are just over $1000AUS, and worth every penny

i listened to all their stuff and none of it is over priced for what you get, oh and btw you do get full plans.
good luck

thanks,

I happen to also know abt VAF.

However those ProAcs are from a different league, close to the extravagant expensive high end range.

They are direct competitors to the VAF Signatures ;)

SO I will pick those anyday over DC-X, hope you understand.

Currently Im thinking abt a ProAc 2.5 with an extra woofer.

your budget was small tho, how much are the ProAc in AU$?
and where is there some info on it.
you said they compete with the vaf signature series (which i have also heard) but they run up $4000+, that is alot over 1300:xeye:

and if thos proacs you said compete with the signatures for your budget...show me where to sign up, because the sigantures sound incredible, amazing, everything.:D the i93 is my dream speaker kit

just found some stuff on those ProAcs, they would i imagine sound almost on par with the VAF signature series for quality, but in terms of value, id still pic the DC-X, they sound almost as good as the signature, they just dont go as low nor as loud, but the quality of sound is almost as good, and if you compared the ProAcs to the DCX i think you would find that the DCX would go much much lower and much m,uch louder and clearer at high SPL, and they have only slightly less quality IMO.
I hope i havent sounded like a salesperson here but i really like vaf stuff, its a pity they only demo in adeladie (where i live) cos if they had some stores around the county i beleive they would be far more popular, they realy offer great kits.

:smash: for my 2 cents I'd rather stick with the Proac clones as the VAF's use the cheap audax f/glass coned drivers that no other respectfull manufacturer does; at least with the proac clones you are getting and using quality Scanspeak drivers it's the quality of sound not quantity that matters.... so you go right ahead with your Proac clones, chances are in the long term you will be happier with the sound I have seen far too many VAF speakers advertised in the classifieds of the advertiser [ ya see I'm in lil ol'adelaide too]over the years to assure me in any way of customers long term satisfaction....... cheers and best regards to all
:xeye: Tomcat::D :devilr:

a $6000 speaker for 1300, do you mean the ProAcs are usually 6000 and it would be 1300 to DIY.
Any decent speaker can please me as Im used to listening to second hand hi-fi bought from garage sales. Thus I have no particular taste when it comes to speakers. (I admit I would prefer speakers with decent bass)
if we go by this then why are you considering 6.5 2ways, they will have limited bass output, why not do some 3 ways using an Ariel with a 10" bass driver side firing, this will give you excellent sound and increased bass response.

DIY designs

I have done a few DIY designs-one is the AriaR, designed by Joe D'Appolito, it's featured on Zalytron's site, uses two Focal mids and a Raven R-1. I have another system using Scanspeak mids and tweeters, it's quite similar to Northcreek's Borealis, Currently doing the Audax HT system. By and large I am more than happy with my systems.

All my systems are stand mounted two ways, about 20 inches high. You need to figure out your budget as well as the size of enclosure.

George

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.