EXCEPTIONAL BASS... tight? slow? fast? I have to feel it ? what's your definition? - Page 8 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th April 2013, 01:57 PM   #71
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
The guys on another hifi forum I use say you need one of THESE to get the bass right.
This is one solution. But there is ARC, Trinnov, Audyssey and Velodyne auto EQ as well.

I personally own processors with ARC, Trinnov, and Ausyssey Pro, and I think they are the best solutions out there as far as getting the speakers to place nice with the room.
Old 20th April 2013, 02:07 PM   #72
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtrackmixer View Post
This is one solution. But there is ARC, Trinnov, Audyssey and Velodyne auto EQ as well.

I personally own processors with ARC, Trinnov, and Ausyssey Pro, and I think they are the best solutions out there as far as getting the speakers to place nice with the room.
I thought this was a bad approach to the problem, but if you say they work I trust you, what is the best one and how it works? Eq? of corse it has to use a good mic to know whats going on...
Old 20th April 2013, 03:39 PM   #73
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by murillollirum View Post
YI can not agree that a system that begins to roll off at 40 or 50Hz can be called hi-end.
I agree - a system that rolls off above 40 or 50Hz would have no high end at all!

Honestly tho, a system that can do a real, clean, solid 40Hz can certainly be a high quality system. Even at 40Hz you'll get plenty of low end and you'll even feel room effects from the recording venue - with a good amp. The rest of the system has to be good, of course.
Old 20th April 2013, 03:50 PM   #74
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTarzan View Post
I base a systems bass on its ability to reproduce the brown note. So far none of my systems have been capable, but I keep trying.
you will know when you get it
Old 20th April 2013, 08:02 PM   #75
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murillollirum View Post
I thought this was a bad approach to the problem, but if you say they work I trust you, what is the best one and how it works? Eq? of corse it has to use a good mic to know whats going on...
The microphones that come with each processor is designed specifically for the characteristics of that processor. They are factory calibrated, and they can send you the calibration files so you can do it yourself as well.

Personally I think ARC and Audyssey are best for me, but all three as a whole are equally good and excel at different things. All three are equally good at flattening the frequency response at the "sweet" spot, and are equally good at getting at least 85% as good results at the seats around and behind that spot. None of them are good with handling model ringing, and that is why I recommend using passive treatments along with them. All of these auto EQ seem to perform better when passive treatments and ideal placement is taken into consideration.

ARC and Audyssey pro are PC based systems, so you can see the processing at work in real time. Trinnov has a nifty feature that allows you to resposition your speakers if they cannot by physically aligned ideally to industry standards.

All of these system are better than analog EQ, have far more analyzing resolution, and FAR more filters to fix acoustical issues.

Lastly, none of these auto EQ systems can look as deep into speaker/room interaction than Sim3 analyzer. It can do very complicated speaker measurements, and none of these processors can. Using them together however allows you to accomplish amazing and profound acoustical analysis and correction on your system.
Old 20th April 2013, 08:30 PM   #76
scholl is offline scholl  United States
diyAudio Member

Default brown note

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTarzan View Post
I base a systems bass on its ability to reproduce the brown note. So far none of my systems have been capable, but I keep trying.
I use 4 AE IB15s in push pull slot load IB with a crest CA12 amp. On three occasions someone had to leave the room to use the bathroom. HAHA
Old 21st April 2013, 01:49 AM   #77
diyAudio Member

just to clarify my original post re going to low

no one bothered to ask what i meant by too low !!!
in my systems i always go for around the 30hz point as my cut off as below this point the room becomes the limiting factor and i dont like the sound of vibrating walls,car panels and such

i dont feel i,m missing anything by setting my cut off here and untill i hear a system that goes lower than this without the window shake and wall/house vibrations that go along with it i wont change my mind

i dont think low bass is rubbish just the sound of vibrating windows and doors/walls
Old 21st April 2013, 02:10 AM   #78
diyAudio Moderator

Your posts seemed to equate the two. They don't have to be the same, of course.
Old 21st April 2013, 02:36 AM   #79
diyAudio Member

thats becouse every system i have heard that went under 30hz or so and played at what i,d call a decent volume level had the vibration problems i mentioned

i like to listen at realistic volume levels
Old 21st April 2013, 02:42 AM   #80
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, it's a problem. A lot of things in the house start to shake with high levels of low bass!

Hide this!Advertise here!