Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th April 2013, 03:41 PM   #11
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StigErik View Post
My definition of good bass is how it sound through high quality headphones.
There is some truth to this because headphone bass has no modes - it is usually very flat. It is certainly possible to get this same bass in a small room, but you have to do some work to get there. I do agree that the bass in a good set of insert earphones - when sealed properly - is a very good representation of what good bass in a room should sound like as well. At higher freqs, of course, headphones lack the spatial imaging qualities of speakers in rooms (unless you have a virtualizer).
Old 17th April 2013, 04:10 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I base a systems bass on its ability to reproduce the brown note. So far none of my systems have been capable, but I keep trying.
Old 17th April 2013, 05:20 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StigErik View Post
My definition of good bass is how it sound through high quality headphones.
cool
Old 17th April 2013, 06:03 PM   #14
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post
At higher freqs, of course, headphones lack the spatial imaging qualities of speakers in rooms (unless you have a virtualizer).
Of course, there's other aspects that are important that headphones miss, such as the sensation of bass impact on the whole body, not just the ear. Visceral elements definitely contribute to the impression of music. As my acquaintance says, headphones are "solo sex".
Old 17th April 2013, 06:21 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lousymusician View Post
Good bass is when the bass sounds like a real instrument, not a dull thud in the bottom end of the music. The notes should have clear pitch and tone, and that tone should be consistent through the range of the instrument. An acoustic bass should sound like an acoustic bass, projecting the size of the instrument and the vibration of the wood. The pluck of the string should be integrated with the fundamental. You should hear the skin of the kick drum as well as feel the impact from it, and is should be distinct from . I want to hear all of what the bass is playing clearly enough that I could copy the bass line (if I could play bass).

Bill
Spot-on, this is 'good bass' to me, too, rooted in accurate pitch and timbre, and level. Good bass is when the whole sound, the gestalt, is so natural you're not 'listening to the bass'.

Personally - I've zero time for 'stunt bass' which unfortunately seems to be the common marketing perception of what 'good bass' has become.
Old 17th April 2013, 06:33 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Good bass is when the bass sounds like a real instrument, not a dull thud in the bottom end of the music. The notes should have clear pitch and tone, and that tone should be consistent through the range of the instrument. An acoustic bass should sound like an acoustic bass, projecting the size of the instrument and the vibration of the wood. The pluck of the string should be integrated with the fundamental. You should hear the skin of the kick drum as well as feel the impact from it, and is should be distinct from . I want to hear all of what the bass is playing clearly enough that I could copy the bass line (if I could play bass).

Bill
great definition Bill.
Old 17th April 2013, 06:54 PM   #17
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator

bass on most recordings sound like pointless machinebass
not really sure I want to give it that much attention
but obviously it has to be there..somehow
Old 17th April 2013, 09:25 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by momomo67890 View Post
all of them
+1,000,000,000,000,000.00
Old 18th April 2013, 08:23 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Good bass is when the bass sounds like a real instrument
The problem is that almost nothing is recorded to sound like a real instrument. Recorded sound is always (with only a handful of exceptions) manipulated with dynamic compression, EQ, multiple microphones, artificial reverb and so on...
Old 18th April 2013, 10:03 AM   #20
OllBoll is offline OllBoll  Sweden
diyAudio Member

After building and testing my distributed dipole subs I think I'm more inclined to agree with Linkwitz idea here that good sound, in this case bass is not that the bass is awesome but that it lacks clear indications that it is fake like for example booming. It just sits there in the background and doesn't call attention to itself.

Hide this!Advertise here!