Econowave(ish) design - 12" woofer and 12" waveguide

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Gday guys,

I'm looking to make two identical pairs of speakers (one for me, one for my brother). They'll primarily be "party" speakers. so looking to design something that is relatively rugged.

I have four (4) peerless SLS 12" (830669) woofers that I'd like to use. As you can see in the datasheet they have a pretty big resonance at around 2k which I'll attenuate with a notch.

Peerless 830669 12" Paper Cone SLS Subwoofer 264-1118

What I'm looking for is a relatively cheap waveguide + compression driver that will happily crossover at around 1k to avoid the worst of this resonance. "Easy" I hear you all say, "just buy the selenium d220ti and the classic pyle waveguide used in the original econowave" to which I say, shipping those from America is STUPID expensive.

So I'm hoping to find something local (Australia) that would be suitable, without breaking the bank. I think these are the same as a Dayton 12" circular waveguide. If they're suitable then I just need to track down a screw-on 1" compression driver that will happily crossover at ~1k.

YD-L027 - HORN ABS RESIN 290X290X132 - Drivers / Tweeters / X-Overs - Accessories | DJ City

I'd appreciate any advice in tracking down a good waveguide-compression driver combination that would work in my situation.

Cheers, Westy.

Conical is going to sound a lot better than exponential. Compression drivers don't care if they are on expos, tractrix, conical, hyperbolic....... Stay way from exponential horns. They are the ones that had the horn "honk". Have you looked at the eWave thread on Audio Karma. I think there was someone from Aus that built a pair.

Have you taken a look at the Pyle PH12s as a possible option?
Pyle PH12S Screw-On Constant Radiation Horn 292-2569
This is actually a Peavey driver used in the PV115 and the PV215 cabinets. The horns are inexpensive and reasonably well made though they will require a little file work to clean up the throats which are a little sharp off the mold. The Peavey RX14 is a great match to these horns and a 2K crossover would be easy to achieve just take a look here
Peavey RX14 Compression Driver by AmpsLab
The horns are made in China perhaps you can find the maker and buy directly? I hope that this is of interest. Best regards Moray James.

Some great options in there guys, thanks for the suggestions. I'm still trying to find something local though. Stumbled upon these waveguides (the PH-3220). Do you think they'd work OK crossing over at 1k using this compression driver?

Waveguide (search for PH-3220 and open the pdf)
P.Audio Specifications Public Address Systems | Portable PA Systems | DJ Equipment & Lighting

Compression driver (search for BM-D450mkII and open the pdf)
P.Audio Specifications Public Address Systems | Portable PA Systems | DJ Equipment & Lighting

Any ideas on how their directivity control would be just by looking at a picture of the spec sheets and pictures of the two?

Some other options I have available to me.

gedlee, I'd really appreciate your input on the likely suitability of these!

I'd use the PH220. I'd avoid P-audio drivers as I have not found them to be too reliable in data sheets or product. But all 1" compression drivers are pretty comparable at the lower end of the price spectrum. They are all just copies of the better companies designs. I know that B&C is available in Aus, but they may be pretty expensive.

Some impressive directivity graphs there from these SEOS waveguides but I'm really trying to source something locally (read "cheaply").

kevinh, do you have any insight into whether the above linked waveguides would be suitable?

No, special insight. the site has a forum where builders discuss the various kits and their own efforts, good information there.

My understanding is that they attempt to use the wave guide principles of Dr Geddes,

I haven't built any of these kits yet.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.