Econowave(ish) design - 12" woofer and 12" waveguide

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some impressive directivity graphs there from these SEOS waveguides but I'm really trying to source something locally (read "cheaply").

kevinh, do you have any insight into whether the above linked waveguides would be suitable?

So is this one of those unfortunate situations where if it is not already imported into Oz then it will cost you an arm and a leg to get it in no matter where it comes from (ie from Singapore) or how close? Perhaps look to the uses market in Pro Audio at home you could look for quality units like EV Altec and JBL amongst others from Europe. I can't imagine they are not there to be found if you look. good luck to you. Best regards Moray James.

That's the claim, but I want to be clear that I was not consulted on any aspect of their design. I would do things quite a bit different.
Good point mentioning Dr. Geddes, and tank you. (That's not fair trade) It was the same thing with Wayne Parham (discussions). A little over the edge for an entrepreneurial diy (commercial) site and new venture trying to start, make and marketer their own prototypes. NPI :)

kevinh, look here maybe you are interested.
Peavey RX22 Professional 1" Titanum Horn, AU
Peavey RX22 1" Compression Driver - Speakerplans.com Forums - Page 1
Peavey :: RX22 HF Driver

Attachments

• Peavey RX™22 HF Driver.jpg
    Peavey RX™22 HF Driver.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 383
pyle PH12s | eBay There you go right at home ad a more than fair price. That was easy Google can be your friend. Best regards Moray James.

PS: if you want to run the RX22 with this horn please not the difference in the exit of the RX22 and the throat of the horn. You will need to make a simple adapter washer wo match the two sizes with the same angle as the driver. This will minimize reflections and insure smooth response.

Last edited:
That is why I used the term attempt, since I can't objectively comment on their success. Clearly they don't use the foam to deal with HOM's for example.

I would guess they are better behaved than many horns/waveguides on the market?

That's the claim, but I want to be clear that I was not consulted on any aspect of their design. I would do things quite a bit different.

That is why I used the term attempt, since I can't objectively comment on their success. Clearly they don't use the foam to deal with HOM's for example.

I would guess they are better behaved than many horns/waveguides on the market?

I would say that yes, they are, probably represent a tremendous value and great performance for the dollar. Gedlee has a more thorough baffle termination, a round waveguide which can actually power match AND axially match (can't do it with any other shape), and the foam for HOMs.

Anything I missed doc? The enclosure CLD effort perhaps?

PS: if you want to run the RX22 with this horn please not the difference in the exit of the RX22 and the throat of the horn. You will need to make a simple adapter washer wo match the two sizes with the same angle as the driver.
What do you mean? I see, it's different. :cool: (not)
he
PylePro PH12S Screw-On Type Constant Radiation Horn
Throat Diameter: 26mm
Mounting Type: Zinc Screw Insert 1 3/8''- 18 UNEF

Peavey RX22
Horn Coupling Diameter: 7/8" (22.2 mm)
Horn Coupling Threads: Standard 1 3/8" — 18

Peavey RX22 with 7/8" needs the adapter. Strange a smaller throat than the standard 25mm/1". What's the horn they have for that driver without adapter? (Probably with a long funny waveguide.) :confused: (not)
It must be for the CH™-941 horn, CH™-2 and CH™-3R - Throat size: 0.875".
Peavey :: CH-941
Peavey :: CH-2
Peavey :: CH-3R

Last edited:
Sorry, forget Peaveys... (no trusty specs/enough documentation)

In my experience, Peavey stuff is truly nasty. I have always seen the triangular A in the Peavey logo as a warning triangle.

Unless they've started buying elsewhere, the compression driver is probably made by Eminence, like most of their other stuff. Nuff said.

I have been selling Peavey gear since about 1976 up until a few years ago in our two music shops and can honestly say that the sound quality of their PA cabinets is terrible when compared to proper professional PA cabinets---The components have always been of poor quality especially the over rated Black Widow loaded junk.

Sorry guys but I have to agree with the above post. The RX22 is in my opinion one of the worst sounding drive units ever produced (that's drive units full stop not just compression drivers). Harsh, rasping, compressed nastyness.
I'm sure with some tweeking it could sound Ok but there are far, far better 1" comps than this.
(above linked forum)

I would go with most known-ed and tested c. drivers.

What do you mean? I see, it's different. :cool: (not)
he
PylePro PH12S Screw-On Type Constant Radiation Horn
Throat Diameter: 26mm
Mounting Type: Zinc Screw Insert 1 3/8''- 18 UNEF

Peavey RX22
Horn Coupling Diameter: 7/8" (22.2 mm)
Horn Coupling Threads: Standard 1 3/8" — 18

Peavey RX22 with 7/8" needs the adapter. Strange a smaller throat than the standard 25mm/1". What's the horn they have for that driver without adapter? (Probably with a long funny waveguide.) :confused: (not)
It must be for the CH™-941 horn, CH™-2 and CH™-3R - Throat size: 0.875".
Peavey :: CH-941
Peavey :: CH-2
Peavey :: CH-3R

Don't look so hard the pro industry simply does not try that hard. just make a small washer with the same angle as the driver 7/8" hole on one end 1" on the other end now everything mates perfectly no big deal. The Pyle PH12s is the Peavey horn it IS the same part made but the same manufacturer for Peavey and sold under the Pyle banner. Take the easy way and use a washer or if you want you can find a driver with a one inch exit it does not matter. This horn has a large symmetrical mouth and it is a good length so it can play lower than you need which is good. I imagine it sounds very good. I have the Pyle horn and acquaintance hat the Pyle and the Peavy out of a Peavey cabinet and they are identical. I also have the Dayton and it is a very good copy but it did not come off as good a mould, still it is as far as I can see just as good as the Pyle but the Pyle is less expensive.. I have not had the chance to listen to mine yet. I have the Peavey 22XT and the Klipsch K63KN which is an EV designed and built neo horn just shy of one inch exit so it will need a washer as will the 22XT. I hope this helps.
I also own the CH-1 and the 22XT sounds great on that, I bought the Pyle PH12s in hopes it woulds sound better than the CH-1 and be a lot more domestic as the CH-1 is on the large size. If it is the equal of the CH-1 I will be well pleased. Best regards Moray James.

PS: a lot of people like to hate Peavey and I am sure that they have their reasons. I don't have anything bad to say about them, I am rather impressed in a lot of ways. My last pair of Peavey SP1's which are over 32 years old are still working professionally in a dance club here in Alberta with all the stock parts they came with from the factory. They have played on the road all that time with only the caps in the networks drying out with shear age. The drivers and cabinets are solid and sound excellent.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.