Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th November 2003, 01:44 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Fix for my Cone speaker FP66AP45-58L

Well I dug my speaker outta my store room the other day and was shocked to see my little cone speaker (for HF reproduction) crushed and the coil looked outta line...so I detached it and...yupz just like I was afriad of...it's was a goner...a clear no go...checked with a DMM...it was open..I reside in Singapore...and I understand that although Pioneer still carries this part (FP66AP45-58L) they are unable to ship here...so I was wondering if anyone can help me..either to fix it or go with a change...or get a suitable replacement part...so wads your suggestion guys?? I cut up the dome cover to get a good look at it...and it's cleary shot...so maybe I'll post a picture later...
Old 29th November 2003, 02:33 PM   #2
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Well, the Parts Express catalog has one, perhaps two that will fill the bill. Check out this page, then click on the picture of #270-034. The only difference between this tweeter and yours is the last two numbers. the Parts Express is 54F instead of 58L.

You can check on the #270-032 as well. It's rouond instead of square.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....49698&desc=ASC

Pioneer ships overseas, although tax and shipping bring the price up quite a bit. Still, you are only starting off with a $5 unit. You might consider getting two.

Pioneer is the sort of giant electronics manufacturer that makes a lot of speakers that differ from each other only by minor appearance things. One speaker is essentially produced for several different part numbers, only the faceplate might be dark grey instead of black, or the faceplate corners can be rounded on one model but cut sharply square on another model number, etc.

I would strongly suspect that the #270-032 is your speaker.

One small thing-is your present speaker enclosure rated at 8 ohms? The Pars Express speaker is. I just wanted to make certain that your old speaker was not rated for 6 ohms, like many speakers that come in sets with amps, CD players do today. this is apretty inexpensive unit, and I suspect it came in a combo with the amp and receiver.
Old 29th November 2003, 02:39 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Well...I should post some specs to vclear the mystery up eh?? Firstly...it's at 16Ohms impedance...wohich is what is printed at the back...and the screw holes are in a rectangle formation...like a square...except it's not uniform...with a "rectangle" formation...if you get what I mean...I'll do a simple picture for now and later post a full pic of it...have to borro a digi cam...paint will do i guess...
Old 29th November 2003, 02:50 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Here's a simple pic...sorry about the bad quality~!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hf driver fp66ap45-58l.jpg (13.3 KB, 70 views)
Old 29th November 2003, 03:18 PM   #5
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

You call that drawing bad quality? Looks like pretty good drawing to me!

You should see some of the crude scrawls made in MSPaint that I put up here!

When you said that Pioneer would not ship to Singapore, did they mean that they would not ship to a private individual? It seems to me that they would ship to an authorized Pioneer repair center, which should be nearby. Might be a little expensive, and you might have to wait for it, but they should be able to get it.

Go to any dealer that sells Pioneer and ask where the nearest authorized Pioneer repair center is.

Is that a Pioneer speaker, or another company using Pioneer drivers? You might try going to a dealr who sells that company's products. Again, expect a big markup.

There are people who have used parts on the web. I don't know if they would ship to Singapore, although I would guess you would want a new one.

Finally, several years ago, MCM Electronics here in America mentioned that they could special order something from a manufacturer they carry-even though they don't carry that model. So maybe MCM could order for you, if you prepaid. I don't know if they ship overseas.

But it seems to me that someplace-dealer or repair center- in Singapore should be able to order from Pioneer!
Old 29th November 2003, 03:23 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Well...it's from MSPaint yes...and ermz...it's 12midnight now so I can't call Pioneer Service Centre in Singapore...and tommorrow is a Sundae...~!!! Boo Hoo...I think I'll rather go to my speaker repair shop to ask if they can fix the thing...waddauthink?? I wanna fix it cheap and before this year end...the list price of this item on Pioneer's site is USD30+...I dun have tt kinda money to throw arund now...kinda tight on my purse strings...coz I'm a student...I gotta work with my weekly allowance...grrr
Old 29th November 2003, 03:39 PM   #7
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Both MCM and Parts Express carry the same two tweeters for cheap.

I have a hunch that is because Pioneer just had a whole big mess of these on hand and just gave'em away cheap.

By all means, contact the repari center. However, I suspect that Pioneer is the only source of a new one of those tweeters, and they can charge whatever they feel like charging.

I would still check out the repair center though. It's possible they pulled one from a speaker with a blown woofer that wasn't worth repairing, and they could give you a good deal.
Old 29th November 2003, 04:13 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

hmmm...thganks for the kind replies..and ideas...anybody else offer any suggestions?? I'll look into it on Monday...

Hide this!Advertise here!