mid range type

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
if any of you out there were to build a new 3 way floor standing high end pair of speakers what would you look for in a mid driver to use?
would you pick a dome or a cone mid bass driver?

It really depends on the overall design.. but probably the Neo 10 open-back (for a "one-stop-shop").

Ex.

Introducing: Echelon

Accompanying tweeter would probably be the LL2 C120 Air Motion Tweeter.

thanks guys keep the thoughts coming
i've built many speakers in my life and mostly 2 way multi driver designs sealed, ported and tl.
the 3 way i put together was from drivers i had sitting around. they have 4 dayton 6.5 woofers ported with a dayton rs52an mid and a morel mdt37 tweeter.
crossed at 700& 5600 to get 8 octave spread.
this was just to try my first 3 way. right off the bat i noticed the mdt37 was a total piece of crap. very poor quality sound. the curve shows why, roll off after 10000hz
making a dull lifeless top end.
so i bought from a lister a pair of dynaudio new d28 tweeters never used.
the rs52an mid is an alright entry level but i can hear what i don't like about it and want better there as well.
i want to build another set , this time i want to go woofer woofer mid tweet woofer woofer in a 56 high narrow tl design.
i also have laying around 2 css fr125 4 .5 full range, 2 jordan jx92 5 full range and 2 peerless 4" mid woofers but these are only 84 db.
here is a look at the 3 way now
http://
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

thanks guys keep the thoughts coming
i've built many speakers in my life and mostly 2 way multi driver designs sealed, ported and tl.
the 3 way i put together was from drivers i had sitting around. they have 4 dayton 6.5 woofers ported with a dayton rs52an mid and a morel mdt37 tweeter.
crossed at 700& 5600 to get 8 octave spread.
this was just to try my first 3 way. right off the bat i noticed the mdt37 was a total piece of crap. very poor quality sound. the curve shows why, roll off after 10000hz
making a dull lifeless top end.
so i bought from a lister a pair of dynaudio new d28 tweeters never used.
the rs52an mid is an alright entry level but i can hear what i don't like about it and want better there as well.
i want to build another set , this time i want to go woofer woofer mid tweet woofer woofer in a 56 high narrow tl design.
i also have laying around 2 css fr125 4 .5 full range, 2 jordan jx92 5 full range and 2 peerless 4" mid woofers but these are only 84 db.
here is a look at the 3 way now
http://

what do you guys think about the css fr125 or the jordan jx92 for a mid range?

In case of a passive crossover the midrange driver must have a slightly higher sensitivity than the woofers. As four woofers easily reach 90 dB (depending on model), all midrange drivers you mentioned are much too quiet.

In your existing design four DC160 make around 90 dB and the RS52AN is 91 dB. That works.

thanks guys
but see i don't really care for the rs52an. at first i thought it would be a perfect match 91 db + 2.45 db bandpass gain making it 93.45 the morel mdt37 is 93 db. but as stated the 2 mdt37 i have are crap.
the 4 dc160 are wonderfull drivers for low cost that is.
what do you think about the crossover of 700hz and 5600hz 2nd order .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.